Ability to find attachments to Forum posts

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

jameshale
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Ability to find attachments to Forum posts

Post by jameshale » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:38 am

I read a digest version of the forum (as I do with the mailing lists).
This is because living in a significantly different time zone I am out of sync with the majority of discussions that are taking place (at least from the point of making a timely response).
I also read most of my, mail on my iPad.
Consequently I am rarely on my desktop machine when I come across a reference to an upload contributed as part of a discussion.
Now, unless I can remember the actual post the contribution was attached to I have a real difficult time in trying to track down the post and the associated file link.

It would be really great if there was a way of searching for or listing or just indicating posts that have file attachments.

Is this at all possible?

James

jacque

Re: Ability to find attachments to Forum posts

Post by jacque » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:31 pm

I also read the digest version of the forums on a tablet. When I need to locate a particular post later, I tap the link in the digest that takes me to the forum and then use my browser's share feature to send myself an email with the link. I think that's marginally easier than searching for it later.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks Jacque,
Certainly a simple proactive strategy.
If only I was so proactive, although I will try it out next time I see something.
However, there is still the question as to the horses that have already bolted.
There are many example stacks posted by others in response to topics that would provide a magnificent pool of resources that seem to be "lost" unless one has the luck to strike the relevant post via a search.
It just seems a shame that there isn't an easier way to find them.
I am of course assuming that attachments to a forum post get deposited in a defined place within the backend of the board in either a particular db table or directory and would have thought some enquiry interface would be possible.
Perhaps I need to check the docs over at phpBB to see if it discussed.

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:56 am

Ok so I went over to phpBB and discovered that no, there is no way to search for attachments.
Even as an administrator one cannot see all the attachments.
They are all stored in a single directory but there is no "public"interface to this.
There was a discussion back in 2007 re a mod to allow at least a viewing of all attachments but nothing seemed to come of it.
The indexing of the posts is text based so a workaround is to do a search on "zip" which, although listing posts referring to zip files, also seems to list posts that have links to them.
Given the search results are in date order this method seems ok for tracking down a recent post that mentioned an attachment.

Return to “Feature Requests”