Auto Close When Updating

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

tomoe_uehara

Auto Close When Updating

Post by tomoe_uehara » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:30 am

Hello, I'm a new user here ;)
Recently, I'm updating the IDE app while running the app itself, and I notice that the app didn't autoclose when the installer runs, so I keep getting an error message over and over again.
I think it will be a good idea to have the app to autoclose during installation, so the installer should detect the related process to determine whether the app is currently running or not.

Thank you :idea:

pink

Re: Auto Close When Updating

Post by pink » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:28 pm

What error message are you getting, and what platform are you on?

Livecode doesn't technically "update." Instead a new version of Livecode is installed in addition to whatever you currently have.

I have had multiple versions of LiveCode running at the same time while installing yet another update on my Mac.
Greg (pink) Miller

MadPink, LLC
I'm Mad, Pink and Dangerous to Know

tomoe_uehara

Post by tomoe_uehara » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:12 pm

I use Windows 7 x64.
Well basically I update by selecting Help -> Check For Updates, downloads and install the new version.
But since my current IDE app is running, the installer can't update (replace) the executable because it's still running.
It says something about 'The installation can not be completed, quit / retry' (I forgot the whole word), but now I can't re-run the new version I have downloaded because it doesn't give any clue to users about where the new version is placed...

pink

Post by pink » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:34 pm

I hopped on to a Windows 8 machine and was still able to install a LiveCode update with another session of LiveCode running. Can you post a screenshot of what you see?
Greg (pink) Miller

MadPink, LLC
I'm Mad, Pink and Dangerous to Know

tomoe_uehara

Post by tomoe_uehara » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:46 pm

I'm afraid that I can't re-download the new update again to try to reinstall the IDE app, because of the limitation on my internet plan, so I can't post a screenshot, sorry... :(

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Simon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:12 am

Watch out, liveCode 6.6.3 continually wants to update on Windows.
Skip it, 6.6.4 will be out soon (hopefully).

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Also if you download an LC sample it will run from the oldest/original version of Livecode installed on Windows 7. So if you have the latest open it will open another window with an older version of LC.

Return to “Feature Proposals”