Feature Request: Native USB Controller Support

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

speedbump1981

Feature Request: Native USB Controller Support

Post by speedbump1981 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Hello LiveCode,

I made a short little video on YouTube to demonstrate just how amazing Native USB Controller Support would be if LiveCode supported it. However, I can't post the link in the forum. So I ask that you go to YouTube and do a search for "eG2VQpuVQfY" or "LiveCode USB Controller Support".

Anyways, I'd like to see native support for USB based controllers like the XBOX, PlayStation, Logitech and other brands of controllers. While LiveCode was never geared for 3D games, it works very well for 2D games. I myself have wanted to develop an RPG game similar to The Legend of Zelda, but lack of controller support has always kept me from pursuing the dream. Some games play best with a controller and not a keyboard and mouse.

In the video I am using a Steam Controller to play the "Side-Scrolling Game Test" that I wrote a few years ago. With the Valve Corporation now developing a Linux based Set-top Box to compete with the XBOX, Playstation and Wii, the opportunity for me to develop a game utilizing a controller is now a possibility. However, as a beta tester of the Steam Controller, I can tell you that a large majority of gamers will not trade in their favorite controller for a Steam Controller.

By adding native support for any type of USB based controller, LiveCode Developers will be able to deploy their games to a much wider audience, over numerous operating systems, quickly and easily.

I am looking forward to discussing this if anyone has any questions, comments or concerns. Thank you for considering my request!
Derek Bump | Henderson, NV
Previously of Dreamscape Software and Factory Direct Shippers, LLC.

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Feature Request: Native USB Controller Support

Post by sefrojones » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:32 am

Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG2VQpuVQfY

I think this is a great idea, I have no idea what it would take to make it happen, but I like it.

--Sefro

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:33 am

The Bonig und Kallenbach company in Germany makes a USB-to-realWorld gadget. It uses a custom framework so that several programs, LC included, can read and write commands to it. In their gadget, these commands are used to control switches, PWM generators, etc, and to read from analog and digital devices. All the interface requires is a PIC and some minor hardware.

My point is that the framework, at least in one case, has already been done. It can be done again.

Craig Newman

speedbump1981

Post by speedbump1981 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:55 am

The functionality is also built into standard libraries for Mac OS X and Linux, as well as through DirectX on Windows. I spent some time a few months ago trying to figure out how to build the functionality with an External, but it was way over my head.
Derek Bump | Henderson, NV
Previously of Dreamscape Software and Factory Direct Shippers, LLC.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:23 pm

I wonder how many years people have to bang on about this for RunRev to respond?

People mentioned this in 2002.

Obviously RunRev cannot be bothered!

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:03 pm

Useful FREE reference:

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/linuxdr ... index.html

Linux Device Drivers
Linux Device Drivers, Third Edition By Jonathan Corbet, Alessandro Rubini, Greg Kroah-Hartman

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:22 pm

LiveCode Builder is providing OS API access to us within our LiveCode scripts.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:07 pm

That's super: but, presumably, it is a bit daft to start putting together programs leveraging LiveCode Builder
until we have a stable release of version 8?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Perhaps I misunderstood. Were you expecting that the team would drop what they're doing on v8 to implement support for this game controller in the engine?

V8 is available, and though it's in a very early state it's well worth getting familiar with because it represents the foundation on which the future of the platform will be based.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:31 pm

"Were you expecting that the team would drop what they're doing on v8 to implement support for this game controller in the engine?"

Hey, even my ego is NOT that big :)

I'm actually feeling my way slowly towards what I need; no thanks to the Mother ship though . . .

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:58 am

HOWEVER . . . it would be nice if something equivalent to driverNames on Mac could
be there for Windows and Linux [and, by extension, Raspberry Pi].

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:49 pm

"LiveCode Builder is providing OS API access to us within our LiveCode scripts."

How does one get at the LiveCode Builder Documentation that addresses API stuff, as a search in the LC * Documentation
for 'API' yields nothing?
ApeShit.png

MrFollies

Post by MrFollies » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:36 am

It's been a few months now and there is still no clue in the LiveCode docs (online or otherwise) as to how one might access some of the underlying OS' native functions.

I can see the power of widgets but I really would like to access things a little deeper.

Return to “Feature Requests”