so... is this a place to make feature proposals?

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

stam

so... is this a place to make feature proposals?

Post by stam » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:53 pm

I had posted in this sub-forum before as i noticed the 'Feature Proposals' title, but hadn't really clocked that this was in the section of 'LiveCode Open Source'. I liked the idea of it however.

Even more so, the subforums 'Bug Triage' and 'Documentation and Tutorials' would be very helpful to all users and having these under the the now defunct Open Source section is probably less helpful.

Given that Open Source has gone the way of the Dodo, is there value in parcelling these out of the 'Open Source' section either into one of the other sections or a section of their own?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: so... is this a place to make feature proposals?

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 pm

With the end of the open source edition of LiveCode, forum sections once established to support open source process are indeed obsolete, and may be good candidates for archiving.

Although I did a substantial taxonomy clean up here a while back, I'd prefer to wait to hear from LC staff before making any further changes.

The best place to log a feature request is in the main DB: https://quality.livecode.com

If you want to discuss a proposed feature to refine it before submitting it to the team, I suppose this forum section is as good as any right now.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

stam

Post by stam » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:21 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 pm
If you want to discuss a proposed feature to refine it before submitting it to the team, I suppose this forum section is as good as any right now.
Thanks Richard, i think it makes sense to provide an echo chamber for such requests (much like with 'Bug Triage') so that LiveCode Ltd don't get inundated with requests for features that have either been requested already (but which search on the bug database hasn't revealed) or more importantly are not features most users feel would be helpful - i definitely don't want to drone on about something that only matters to me and no one else!

To the case in point: Code Folding. Why isn't this in the IDE already!
LiveCode promotes the behaviour of putting all handlers in 2-3 places only, leading to huge and unwieldy scripts... (as opposed to to other languages where you may parcel these out to class files etc).

I searched the bug database for 'code folding' but found no enhancement requests for this (but surely this must've already been requested). Worth submitting a request?

bn

Post by bn » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 pm

Stam wrote:
To the case in point: Code Folding. Why isn't this in the IDE already!
https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/pull/1970

Kind regards
Bernd

stam

Post by stam » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:42 am

Thanks Bernd - looks like you did a lot of work on this, and years later it's still not in the IDE sadly :-(
There is a slight irony in the complaint that FOSS users didn't contribute...

On a related note i found this request in the bug database as well - looks like it was requested initially in 2008 and the last comment was 10 years later. 3 years on since then, silence of the lambs... I added a further comment but not holding my breath...
https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6937

stam

Post by stam » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:17 am

Following a recent discussions, this is a repeated plea to split out some subforms from this now defunct section into a more useful and central position, namely
  • Documentation/Tutorials (especially as tutorials are currently in vogue)
  • Feature requests (feature request triage really)
  • Bug triage
Hopefully this may be feasible - these important subforms are a little bit lost in their current location...

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:54 am

I am sitting up here in the Bulgarian mountains waiting for the last bits of gunk of my post-vax COVID infection
to clear away, and, frankly, I see that as an almost exact echo of what is going on in the LiveCode-verse at the moment:

someone up in Edinburgh has to clear the gunk out of their system and start breathing more easily before they can
work out how to proceed.

What was done was done in an incredibly ill-considered fashion with little or no thought for the possible consequences.

These consequences are now here for us all to see, and I would not have seen them in my crystal ball; I was obviously naive enough
to think that more experienced people nearer to the hearth with bigger crystal balls might have foreseen things a bit better and taken
different decisions.

Somewhere down the line those who "left the table" really do need to be coaxed back as so many of them have got so much to give,
even if it is not crinkly cash. Quite how that is going to be done escapes me, especially as an awful lot of them feel quite badly
cheated.

However, at no time during the Open Source period, despite all the blether, did LC really demonstrate that they were listening
and acting on feature proposals and so forth, and regardless of all the "puff" about 'Community' and so on, there was very
little to be seen of outreach on LC's part: that and then THIS has sent an extremely negative signal which may yet result in even
further negative consequences.

There does need to be a 'space' where the sort of very healthy discussions that were going on can restart: a place for this might
be outwith the aegis of LiveCode's direct control, although, again, that rather defeats the object of having a healthy channel
of back-and-forth between ALL users of LiveCode and the company.

Cripes: I am in a poisonous mood: off to have my second cup of coffe and start some online teaching.

Return to “Feature Proposals”