Split-screen for Script Editor

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

jmk_phd

Split-screen for Script Editor

Post by jmk_phd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:12 am

My #1 feature request is to have a horizontal split-screen in the script editor window, akin to what is available in MS Word and Excel apps, so that different segments of the code can be viewed simultaneously.

When a stack script gets upwards of 600-800 lines and includes multiple handlers, it's really tedious to scroll up and down just to compare differences in these (and to try remembering those differences when going back and forth).

I know that I can jump between these by clicking on the panel of handlers and functions on the left side of the screen, but it's still a challenge to memory when these cannot be viewed and compared simultaneously (let alone doing a copy-paste between them).

jeff k

bogs

Re: Split-screen for Script Editor

Post by bogs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:54 am

My first thought when reading this was, have you tried GLX2 ? This thread had a boat ton of information in it, as well as good breakdowns of some of the more popular requests around (at the time).

My second thought when reading this was I've seen a lot of talk about it, and I thought Richmond already solved this, although not quite as elegantly as probably Ms Word or Excel heh.

jmk_phd

Post by jmk_phd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:01 am

bogs --

Thanks so much for your lead! Richmond's solution -- to which you pointed me -- may not be elegant, but it is functional. Two independently scrollable script editor windows displaying the same script works just fine for my purposes. This workaround will save me a great deal of time and frustration.

jeff k

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 am

may not be elegant, but it is functional
Never elegant, often functional: something to carve on my gravestone. 8)

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 pm

I'm glad I could point you to someone else's brilliance :D

My own method of doing this before finding Richmond's posted instructions was even less elegant.

I used to just copy an entire script and paste it into two text editors, like Geany, Mousepad, Pluma, or Leaf, any changes that stuck in the script editor were copied over to the second one. The first was so I could back track to original code.

Complicated AND inelegant, but functional :wink:

Return to “Feature Requests”