Is MobGui still alive and does it work with Livecode v7

This is the place to discuss anything relating to MobGUI

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte, splash21

MrCrussell

Is MobGui still alive and does it work with Livecode v7

Post by MrCrussell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:34 am

Hi all,

I'm in the process of jumping ship from Corona to LiveCode and just testing the waters of what's possible with LC. I'd like to give MobGui a try as it provides the native look and feel I'm after when converting some existing apps, but...

I downloaded the demo version of MobGui but it doesn't seem to work with Livecode V7 - is it a bug, or am I doing wrong when I install MobGui. Also, I notice the developer has been very quiet since June/July time, is this still a supported product?

Thx

MrCrussell

newtronsols

Re: Is MobGui still alive and does it work with Livecode v7

Post by newtronsols » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:10 pm

I am using it and find it a bit problematic with 7 & Mobgui with Windows and for Android. So 4 lots of problems all at once. Actually I find that aspects of standard Livecode now seem more problematic than Mobgui. One recent problem I had was the new version of Mobgui I was using downloaded via LC site was corrupted,somehow. Possibly as I switch old/new frequently. To fix this I downloaded the latest 1.28 via Mobgui site.

My current problem is bizarre that dispatch to a datagrid see http://lessons.runrev.com/m/datagrid/l/ ... a-grid-api works in one app - but identical code literally copied to a different app doesn't. It may be the combination of the the datagrid api and new mobgui whereas the other was datagrid api and old mobgui.

I will have to resort to putting 'answer tvariable' at every line to see where it stops working. If that fails I'll try using old Mobgui with LC 7.

I wouldn't risk using 7 & Mobgui for a commercial deadline - unless you have a guarantee via the most expensive SW licence from Runrev to prioritise any problems you have to fix and you work out whether to use new or old mobgui as being more reliable. And you have an NDA so you hand over your code to them to see what isn't working.

MrCrussell

Post by MrCrussell » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:57 am

Hey newtronsols,

I'm just starting up with LiveCode after jumping ship from Corona so there's no chance of me releasing anything commercial for a while :) I was just interested to see if MobGUI was still being actively supported s I'm looking around for a GUI toolkit, liked this, but saw that there had been no activity from splash21 on here since June/July and I didn't want to commit cash (even $30) to a dead project..

Hopefully, it's still alive and well...

MrCrussell

Post by MrCrussell » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Anyone from the MobGUI team around.. at all?

fgr33n

Post by fgr33n » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi, Mr Crussell,

Since it appears that MobGUI support is currently very limited or non-existent, I think you will be on your own, as far as the MobGUI developer is concerned. This is why I decided to make sure I could implement everything before committing fully to the LiveCode platform for a project we are planning.

While the jury is still out on LiveCode, I spent the $50 for MobGUI, and enough time to get the MobGUI controls I will need working in a test app on both an iPad and an Android, using the LC community version. I've been using the Navbar, the button, the A / B option control, the toggle switch, the vert and horiz sliders, the progress bar, and the native scroller control.

In addition to using the button control as a button, I've also tested it as a simple text or a label. By turning off the interactivity, border, shape and etc, it looks like a text object, or label, but the format can be changed by switching between IOS and Android on the MobGUI menu panel.

In my limited experience, MobGUI seems to work better in LC v7 than v6.x-- at least with the controls I've tested. On v6.x, sometimes switching back and forth between the Android and IOS formats would leave the format of the sliders unchanged. On v7 this hasn't happened so far.

However, I've not been able to get the progress bar to animate on either iOS or Android-- it will display, but not move. It runs as expected inside of LiveCode, but in the simulators and on the devices, no joy.

I haven't tried the other controls yet, as I got stalled on the progress bar.

MrCrussell

Post by MrCrussell » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Certainly looks as though MobGUI is dead in the water. Think I'll wait for tmControls to be rewritten..

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mikey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Unfortunately, John tends to get busy with other things for extended periods, and then nothing happens on MG.

On the other hand, Scott just put out a new version of tmC this year, and I've been using it for several new projects, making all sorts of nifty things with it. Also, the source is now "open" - not in the traditional sense that you don't have to pay for it, but it's unlocked and I have been able to tweak things in it that I wanted to tweak (thanks, Scott) without having to wait for him to get to them.

What needs to be rewritten in tmc that I missed?

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:15 pm

I believe tMC is iOS only. Whereas I want an Android solution - I'd like Mobgui..whatever.. to be part of LC.. They should have bought the code to integrate it as I believe the majority of newer LC users want to build Mob apps - primarily... and then integrate with dB apps like Livecloud. Again LC&LC could have joined forces to give an approved solution - dBs for mobile apps.

Perhaps a Runrev survey could have highlighted what 'users want' as a priority before creating a roadmap.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Well, until the native controls are complete, the skinners are taking an extra risk, so I don't think they'll be spending a lot of effort right now.

splash21

Post by splash21 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:04 pm

Native themed controls have been imminent for some time now - widgets are also imminent. The way custom controls are created is about to change. I've no idea when it will happen, but most of MobGUI should be redundant.
LiveCode Development & Training : http://splash21.com

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:00 pm

So, John, does that mean you're also going to do a "wait and see" on MG, the way Scott seems to be doing "wait and see"?

JohnM0950

Post by JohnM0950 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:36 am

Looks like MobGUI is alive because they took my money and sent me a license code.

BUT it looks like support is dead. I posted a plea for help, but the replies are still at zero.
Guess I wasted $50 USD! :oops:
Thank you,

John M.

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Dixie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:33 am

John M...

Contact runRev support, tell them that you can't get support for mobGUI and ask them to refund you... I am sure that they will be accommodating ...It is after all liveCode that are selling mobGUI from the liveCode store... :-)

Return to “MobGUI”