MobGUI label field, list button groups, & config

This is the place to discuss anything relating to MobGUI

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte, splash21

Appy777

MobGUI label field, list button groups, & config

Post by Appy777 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:39 am

I am new to LiveCode and MobGUI.
I am trying to follow a tutorial contained in the Livecode Mobile Development Hotshot ebook.

1. The lesson instructs me to
"Drag a Label Field from the MobGUI stack onto the card"
I can't find anything labelled label field in the toolbar. Where is it?

2. The lesson also instructs me to
"Next we will add eight list button groups from the mobGUI stack to our card. Here are the steps: 1. Right click on the list button group on the MobGUI stack..."
I can't find anything labelled list button in the toolbar. Where is it?

3. ...and right back at the beginning of the lesson...
"In the MobGUI stack, make the following configuration changes:
1. Under the Design size & orientation section, select iphone and Portrait. 2. Under the Runtime allow orientations sectipon, select Portrait upside down..."
The image supporting these instructions shows the MobGUI toolbar with an option which doesn't seem to be available int he version I have installed (V0-30). Where do I find this in my version?

Many thanks!

Prue.

Appy777

Re: MobGUI label field, list button groups, & config

Post by Appy777 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:48 am

It appears I have purchased a book which is outdated and applies to a previous version: http://mobgui.com/oldDoc.php?docId=6

I really need the functionality which is taught in this lesson, but there is nothing in the manual to advise what this function has been replaced by in the current version. Any ideas? I'd like to be able to follow this tutorial so that I know how to use MobGUI!

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Why not load the complete and up-to-date PDF manual for MobGUI: http://mobgui.com/docs.php

I clicked on "Docs" in the "menubar" on the webpage and there ist was 8)

Appy777

Post by Appy777 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi Klaus. Yes, I have this link already. The problem is that for a complete newbie, this doesn't teach me how to create. For someone who is completely new tutorials are necessary. The book I purchase contains a tutorial teaching you how to create an entire menu which uses various functions using MobGUI. Unfortunately I am a couple of hours in following the tutorial and have now found it is obsolete as the buttons no longer exist in the latest version of MobGUI. It's unfortunate as it was exactly what I needed to know how to do.

Right now, I have paid for and installed MobGUI but have no idea how to use it. Are there any free tutorials around? I can't really find anything much.

Thanks,

Prue.

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by sefrojones » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:01 pm

You should be able to download the previous version of MobGUI under the my products section of the livecode store.
MGstore.png

If that button isn't available, I'm sure either splash21 or support would be able to help you with a copy.

--sefro

Appy777

Post by Appy777 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:32 am

Thanks Sefro. Would the old version be able to run alongside the new version or would I need to uninstall? I need features from both.

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:54 am

If I recall correctly, they will work side by side. :D

Appy777

Post by Appy777 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:45 am

From the livecode store: "The OLD MobGUI only functions with LiveCode Commercial, it is not supported by LiveCode Community as it is a password protected stack. It is still available for download" I only have the community version - not ready to upgrade to commercial yet as I am struggling to perform even the simplest of tasks :-( .

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:58 am

You have highlighted a significant problem with Mobgui and Livecode. Even when you pay for the commercial product & training - all the training was Old Mobgui and a specific version of Livecode on Mac. Whereas I downloaded the latest versions of Livecode had the new mobgui on Windows 7.

Appy777

Post by Appy777 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:39 am

And then when you need support, you are directed to the forum! Surely MobGUI has created free tutorials for beginners? It seems crazy that there is nothing available to teach us exactly how to use it.

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 pm

I wonder if we could convince splash21 to release the old version under a GPL compatible license, it would help to mitigate issues like this. I also think that this is kind of a red-flag to not use third-party closed source add-ons in tutorials/documentation. I love LiveCode, but can see things like this might turn away new users before they can dig in and see how great LiveCode really is. Just my two cents.

--Sefro

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:46 pm

splash21 doesn't respond to any direct contact email/twitter. I wonder if splash21 is a figment of Runrev's imagination. :wink:

Read: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nab ... 49682.html
Last edited by newtronsols on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splash21
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by splash21 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Appy777 wrote:And then when you need support, you are directed to the forum!
This forum is the correct place for support.

Appy777 wrote:The problem is that for a complete newbie, this doesn't teach me how to create.
Create what? The docs show you how to use MobGUI controls - you need to learn LiveCode to create anything of your own. Can you be more specific?

newtronsols wrote:splash21 doesn't respond to any direct contact email/twitter
I talk to a lot of people via email and other means, but the forum is the place for MobGUI support.

Since MobGUI now supports both commercial and community, you get all the behavior code for the controls. You can study this code as well as reading the documentation and tweak anything that you need to function differently.
LiveCode Development & Training : http://splash21.com

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Splash21,

I think the main issue here, is that some of the documentation and tutorials use the older MobGUI in their lessons. Considering the major changes that have gone into MobGUI (good job BTW), some of these older lessons are now basically unusable to newcomers because of the syntax changes. This was an issue during LC summer School 1, RunRev released a short video detailing the differences to those of us in the course. Would releasing the older version in a community compatible version be something you'd be willing to entertain? I think for newcomers who may be using the community license, but who also buy MobGUI, this would be helpful to avoid these kind of scenarios where tutorials/docs/books refer to the older non-community compatible version.

--Sefro

Return to “MobGUI”