Video streaming

This is the place to discuss anything relating to MobGUI

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte, splash21

Appy777

Video streaming

Post by Appy777 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:48 pm

I am new to Livecode and programming and have just purchased your app. I am creating an app for Android which will give users access to 20 - 40 videos, each 1-2 minutes in length, hosted on Vimeo - (Vimeo pro account).
Will it be possible to do this using the native player, and if so could you please help me out with providing some tips on how to execute this? Some code would be brilliant if you are able to help me on this level.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Video streaming

Post by Simon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi Appy777,
I take it you've been through this lesson?
http://lessons.runrev.com/m/4603/l/44283-using-players
After that, ask a specific question related to any problems you may have.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Appy777

Post by Appy777 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi Simon,

I have looked at that page but there is a note at the bottom of the page which reads:
Using Players on iOS

"LiveCode players are only supported in desktop applications. If you want to use a player in an iOS application you can use an iosPlayer object, this is a native iOS control that displays a movie. For more information on using iOS players see this lesson."

There is nothing mentioned about Android.

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Check out mobileControlCreate in the dictionary.

Simon
Edit; The ios lesson works on Android, there was a bunch of keywords starting with ios... or Android... but I believe they have all been converted to mobile...
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by sefrojones » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi Appy777,

Since it looks like you bought it already, MobGUI has a mobile player control you can drag out. :D
http://mobgui.com/doc.php?docId=20

--Sefro

Appy777

Post by Appy777 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:11 am

Ok, I will need to try these options once I have enough of a foundation to start creating my app. I was hoping someone could confirm they actually have such a system up an running in their app. I am learning Livecode solely to make this app, and I would be very frustrated, to say the least, if I spent months learning plus hundreds of $$$ on membership, tutorials & license only to find it's simply not possible! I was hoping to short circuit that and find out before I am too far down the road.

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:42 am

Appy777 wrote: I am learning Livecode solely to make this app, and I would be very frustrated, to say the least, if I spent months learning plus hundreds of $$$ on membership, tutorials & license only to find it's simply not possible! I was hoping to short circuit that and find out before I am too far down the road.
That's the beautiful thing about LiveCode community. It's free and open source, so you can "try before you buy" or even in some cases, not buy at all..... 8)
If you want to PM me a link to one of your videos in question, I would test it out on the mobile player for you.

--Sefro

Appy777

Post by Appy777 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:47 am

Sefro, thank you so much! Let me get the Vimeo side of things sorted out this week and once I have, I will contact you. You are very kind :-)

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:07 am

I have tried, without success, to get streaming video from vimeo or youtube working on android using a player object or a browser object. I have been able to have the video show up using both controls, but for some reason only the audio is streamed and the player remains black. I've set the acceleratedrendering to true, I've also tried embedding the iframe into a local html file with no success....For some odd reason using the fullscreen button makes it work..... does anybody have this working on android?

--Sefro

Return to “MobGUI”