iOS 7 support timeline for MobGUI

This is the place to discuss anything relating to MobGUI

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte, splash21

MrWizard.

iOS 7 support timeline for MobGUI

Post by MrWizard. » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Is anyone in the know as to MobGUI's timeline for support of iOS7? (Yes, I know the developer release just went out last night and the public release is scheduled for Sept.) I am just asking for planning dates, so we can update our roadmap.

It would be helpful for planning purposes to know the date when we can "upgrade" to version that can develop / deploy / support iOS7 UI

Thanks,
E

MarcVanCauwenberghe
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: iOS 7 support timeline for MobGUI

Post by MarcVanCauwenberghe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:49 am

Hi,

does anyone have any idea about this. I do not want to bring out an app in september that is not iOS7 ready.

Regards,
Marc

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 am

Here's the road map, but there are no dates assigned.. http://livecode.com/community/roadmap/
From what I have been seeing in the forums, it looks like MobGUI is pretty dead and the new native themes will be in the engine..

MarcVanCauwenberghe

Post by MarcVanCauwenberghe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:32 am

Yes,

I've seen the roadmap with regards to themes. But there seems to be a mysterious silence to the fait of MobGUI.One which I find not very professional on all parties involved. Maybe Mr. Craig could give us a viewpoint as to where he stands. On the other hand Runrev has been actively endorsing MobGUI, promoting it almost. I have now paid for the Summer school which is no small fee for me by the way (excellent course until now I may add). But am I to believe that MobGUI which is a very great part of the app we are building 'pretty dead' ?

I hope that someone will clarify this for me (and for many other people I think)

Best regards,
Marc Van Cauwenberghe

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Well, if you look at the amount of updates in the last while, plus the lack of communication from the developer, I'd say it is dead.. With the native themes coming in the (not) near future, I don't see any reason for the developer to keep working on this plugin (would this be "beating a dead horse"?)..

Again, this is my own thought on the subject, based on what I have seen in the forums and not with any different info (heck, I don't even have MobGUI) so take from this what you will..

MarcVanCauwenberghe

Post by MarcVanCauwenberghe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi Shaosean,

This is also what I believe to be true. But I would like to hear from the developer himself and also from Runrev who still actively endorse this utility. My biggest hope is that MobGUI will be incorporated into Livecode itself in some way so that the 'upgrade' will be relatively easy. Nevertheless I have now started to make my own iOS GUI so I will be ready in a few months. I am still confused and would like some clarification.

Thanks for giving your opinion.
Best regards,
Marc

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I view mobGui as a quick-start tool, nothing more.

It's clear Kevin wants to help young people get into programming and for students it's an excellent resource to make iOS looking apps.

But you can't make "Angry Fowl" using a template. :)

mobGui gives you all the code for developing your own UI. Drag 'n drop developers will always be at the mercy of the tool they use. Just like the current tools pallet, does anyone intend to use the current buttons for a commercial product? I wouldn't, but with LC I can change them.

I don't begrudge RunRev for continuing to support it, just should add "for the beginner" to their marketing material.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

MarcVanCauwenberghe

Post by MarcVanCauwenberghe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Thank you very much for the reply Simon.
I still hope one or the other will communicate with the users. At the very least it is a lack of communication.

Have a nice sunday and thanks for a couple of new words I learned today. :)

Regards,
Marc

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:18 pm

Yeah a lack of communication is pretty par for the course on their forums.. Contact support if you want any type of reply..

Return to “MobGUI”