Is LiveCode for Android ready for prime time?

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

shawnb

Is LiveCode for Android ready for prime time?

Post by shawnb » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Is LiveCode for Android ready for prime time? Are updates frequent? Just asking a question, I'm debating between purchasing LiveCode for Android or using Corona. Perhaps someone that's good with both could give some feedback on both.

Updated: lots of views no responses so I added to my question.

Update II: Probably another 25 views since I placed the updated question above. I'll now edit it again.

Update II (continued): For me I primarily see my self developing educational games, maybe a game similar to Angry Birds for testing, but mostly analytics, GPS (maps), and database (mysql). For the maps I''d like to be able to retrieve location and share data based on location.
Until LC for Android can create the same type of applications that I can create with Java or Lua, I'll be using Java and Lua. I'd love to use LC, but LC for Android is not ready for prime time.

marksmithhfx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Is LiveCode for Android ready for prime time?

Post by marksmithhfx » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:35 am

shawnb wrote:Is LiveCode for Android ready for prime time? Are updates frequent? Just asking a question, I'm debating between purchasing LiveCode for Android or using Corona. Perhaps someone that's good with both could give some feedback on both.

Update II (continued): For me I primarily see my self developing educational games, maybe a game similar to Angry Birds for testing, but mostly analytics, GPS (maps), and database (mysql). For the maps I''d like to be able to retrieve location and share data based on location.
LC seems ready. I personally am having a problem getting the Android sim working on a Mac, but that may not be your setup. LC is very flexible. There is a "snowball" program that is out for the iPhone written in LC (I haven't tried it yet but just suggesting that the trajectories of snowballs and angry birds might have something in common). I have a google maps demo working and the database support is claimed to be good (have not implemented that myself yet, but its on the drawing board for another "demonstration" I am working on).

I have no idea what Corona is (other than a pretty good beer from Mexico!)

I'm sure this won't help you much but may encourage others with more experience to chime in.

Cheers,

-- Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

shawnb

Post by shawnb » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:34 am

After reading several posts on runrev it seems that LiveCode for Android is NOT ready for Prime Time. I'll keep checking and perhaps update this post when it appears to be ready for Prime Time.
Until LC for Android can create the same type of applications that I can create with Java or Lua, I'll be using Java and Lua. I'd love to use LC, but LC for Android is not ready for prime time.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:55 am

It's ready, depending on what you need to do. I've got a working game running on it, among other things, and it works fine.

GPS is not yet implemented, but databases are, and analytics are just scripting that will do whatever you code it to do. Like iOS, native controls need to be emulated but MobGUI is now adding Android controls that look great. Almost all the desktop capabilities work, and all of the basic engine functionality does. I've done more Android apps than iOS so far, and I'm not having any LiveCode issues.

Best bet is to jump in and see. I don't think you'll have any problems with educational games at all.

Edited: Updates are frequent, every couple of months. Each update fixes bugs and adds more features.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

javiergarciaes

Post by javiergarciaes » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:13 pm

I am also considering to buy a personal livecode license and try it. My objective is to develop an educational financial app for android devices using a Macbook running OS X 10.5.8. If am succesfull, i will upgrade to commercial. Is the Android market accepting LC apps? How many of them have been published?

shawnb

Post by shawnb » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:37 am

Thanks for the response jacque,

GPS not being implemented yet is a huge negative for me, considering that one of the apps that I want to do will require GPS. Sounds like other apps that I have in mind will be fine though.

javiergarciaes, I ran across a link on here of one android app that was created using LC, but the app was very poorly thought out and implemented. There's a link here on the forum. Can't find it right now though. So far that's the only app that I've actually seen in the android market that used LC.

Update: javiergarciaes here's that link https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result
and here's the original thread http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8468 So that's one app someone has in the app store. ;)

javiergarciaes

Post by javiergarciaes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 am

I will have a look. Thanks a lot. Another question (i do not know if this is the correct place to do it): If i buy a personal license and install in the same macbook i installed de demo version and then i want to install it in my office-macbook, will i have to buy another license?

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:44 pm

No additional purchase required, you can run your licensed copy on all your machines.

cu3e

Post by cu3e » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:06 am

I personally think its not ready for prime time. My projects has stopped due simply lack of functions with implemented in the ios version allready but not implemented in android. Visual effects for example. Or GPS function. Or the oriantation recognizing. The splitted updates are not good for LiveCode. Run Rev switch focus from version to version. Like focus with 4.x.x is ios, 4.x.y android, 4.x.z server ... than again ios. Then next milestone and new fee is needed. So I need to spend another 20 bucks for a update which implement nothing to android. There are now 3 versions since support told me that "visual effects" coming soon. And it havent yet implemented.

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Orientation recognition works, it has from the beginning. It works the same as it does on iOS.

javiergarciaes

Post by javiergarciaes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:50 am

jacque wrote:No additional purchase required, you can run your licensed copy on all your machines.
thanks. that is very useful.

PhilAJ

Post by PhilAJ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 pm

Interesting thread - I'm looking to use LC to create an App for IOS and Android - very interested to hear any feedback as to suitability....

...hence adding to the thread.

Phil

BarrySumpter

Post by BarrySumpter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:39 am

Orientation didn't work from the beginning.
Else the doco didn't support it properly.

The orientation is only reactive.
I can't force my orientation to horizontal on one card then vertical on another.

Still no external access.
And still no access to contacts, messaging, etc.

So Android is ready for some but not others.

I wouldn't mind another update to Android.
But it looks like RR have decieded that iOS is more important.
All my best,
Barry G. Sumpter

Deving on WinXP sp3-32 bit. LC 5.5 Professional Build 1477
Android/iOS/Server Add Ons. OmegaBundle 2011 value ROCKS!
2 HTC HD2 Latest DorimanX Roms
Might have to reconsider LiveCode iOS Developer Program.

PhilAJ

Post by PhilAJ » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 am

Corona was mentioned as an alternative development environment...has anyone had any experience of this?

Phil

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:09 pm

BarrySumpter wrote:Orientation didn't work from the beginning.
Else the doco didn't support it properly.
I haven't had any trouble with it. I've got two Android apps that both respond to orientation commands just as the docs indicate they should, but I haven't tried actively trying to force it to something other than what the user wants. The behavior on Android is the same as on iOS. You can set the initial startup orientation and in a preopenstack handler you can set the allowed orientations. That works for me on both operating systems.

I don't think there's a way to force a new orientation on iOS that's any different than how it works on Android. One thing that may work, but I haven't tried, is to set the allowedOrientations before you go to another card. That way the card may rotate when it opens. But I don't think this is expected behavior on either OS; the user is supposed to be in control.

You're right there is no support for externals yet, RR is working on that. The goal is parity between both mobile products. But they did a survey (see their latest blog post) that showed 4 out of 5 LiveCode developers considered iOS more important to their business model than Android, so of course that's where their efforts are focused for now.

Return to “Android Deployment”