On Android, QRcode Apps show the password of the WiFI

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

trevix

On Android, QRcode Apps show the password of the WiFI

Post by trevix » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:29 pm

My app shows a QRcode that allows them to connect to WiFi.

Before Android 11, Android users could not use their mobile camera to take a shot to a WiFi QRcode (like on iOS): they had to use a specific App (there are quite many on Google play).
And even today, most Android users don't know that they can use their phone camera, to do it.

I noticed that these Apps, or at least the ones I tested, after the scan they show in plain text the name of the network and its password, before the user proceeding with the WiFi pairing.

Is there a way to hide these infos (that users should not be allow to see...), while maintaining the QRcode functionality?
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: On Android, QRcode Apps show the password of the WiFI

Post by jacque » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:01 pm

From what I've read, you can't prevent the password being displayed. QR codes save passwords as plain text and Android offers the option to display it. General advice is not to use QR codes if security is important.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 pm

Your workflow description is intriguing, Trevix. May I ask what you're working on?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

trevix

Post by trevix » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:05 am

I distribute a sport score App ("Referi") wich works with 2 bluetooth buttons.
Since a lot of Padel clubs have asked us to provide a court scoreboard, we sell a Android TvBox with a modified version of "Referi" installed and attached to a TV. The TvBox have already 2BT buttons paired which are handled to the players when they arrive.

The idea that I have been deployed now for 2 months now is that the Padel players, reaching the court, launch "Referi" on their mobile, take a shot to a WiFi QRcode (shown on the tv and also on a print out) so that their phone connect to the house Wifi; the app open than a socket to the TvBox (wich is permanently connected to WiFi) and allow the player, using they phone, to enter Match options, players names and start a match on the TvBox (we named it "RePlay"). And then put away their phone on their bag.

This now works great with an iPhone, since I have this incomplete little extension done by Ali Lloyd that, having the WiFi data, allow the Referi script to connect to the WiFi. It works only on iPhones unfortunately.

Android users have to do a 2 pass operation: connect to wifi using their OS or a QRcode reader app and then shoot again to the same QRcode to open the socket com, etc. (the QR code data is made of 2 lines: line 1 has the Wifi connection formula, line 2 have the data needed to open a socket in my script.
The first Android beta tester, to my dismal, has used a QRcode reader app that before connecting to wifi, shows the complete text data of the QRcode.
Which is a no, no, in my opinion.
I understand that QRcode for WiFi cannot be encrypted and that it is only plain text, but I did not know that most QRcode apps do the above.
Also, the necessary speed of operation, does not allow me to do all this via internet and the cell data.
I whish I could find another way to do all this. Any Suggestions?
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

Return to “Android Deployment”