Error with Android 6

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

simon.schvartzman

Error with Android 6

Post by simon.schvartzman » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:30 pm

Hi team, I'm getting an error ( INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE) when trying to install from the IDE to a device with Android 6.0. Keeping everything the same but changing to another device with Android 8.1.0 installation goes OK.

I'm using LC 9.6.5 Stable on Mac running BigSur

What could be wrong?

Many thanks in advance
Attachments
screen.jpg
Simon

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Error with Android 6

Post by jacque » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:54 pm

Usually it means that you changed the type of certificate (development only, or use my key) but it also may mean that the app really is incompatible with Android 6. What's the minimum OS setting in standalone settings? Android 6 is very old.

If you have had success before and you have an older copy on the device, try deleting it first before reinstalling.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi Jaque many thanks for your reply.

Could the problem be related to the use of API 30 by LC 9.6.5?

I've tried to install from scratch (deleted previous versions) and also with "Do not Sign" and the result is the same.

The minimum setting I can see on the standalone is 5.0 Lollipop and even though I agree with you the Android 6 is very old (so am I but still working somehow :) ) I do have my APP installed on older phones and I would like to avoid releasing a new version that won't be able to run...
Simon

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:05 pm

It might just be 9.6.5 stable itself. I am having problems with it. Sometimes it will build, sometimes it won't. It keeps telling me my SDK isn't correct but then it builds anyway the next time I try. While cabled to the Mac, hitting the Test button in the toolbar always errors, while choosing Test from the Development menu almost never does, except when it rarely does. Restarting LC always builds at least once, sometimes twice. So...? If I can figure out a pattern I'll report it. If you have a copy of 9.6.5 RC 2 you might try that. I didn't have these issues there.

It also might be that your SDK is missing the API 30 files. However, you should get a warning about an invalid SDK if that were the case, like I did.

Another thought...are you trying to install the .aab file? That won't work. You need to install the regular .apk for testing. The .aab file is only used for submission to the Play Store, you can't use it with a manual install.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:06 pm

Hi Jacque thanks for your inputs:
It also might be that your SDK is missing the API 30 files
API 30 is indeed installed and as a matter of fact I can install (hitting the Test button of the IDE) on a device running Android 11. The error happens when trying the same approach with a cell running Android 6
are you trying to install the .aab file?
since I try to install by hitting the Test button of the IDE I'm not given the choice and I'll assume apk is the one choosen

Some interesting findings:

1 - I've submitted the .aab file to Google Play and when I install from there into the Android 6 device it installs fine
2 - Now LC 9.6.1 is giving exactly the same error as LC 9.6.5 so my guess is that the later has changed something on the config files.

I'm going to ask support for help.

Best!
Simon

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:06 pm

Hello Simon,

Does the Android 6 device include an older version of the same app? Or a different app but with the same app id? If yes, I suggest removing the "old" app first and then try again to install app built with LC 9.6.5.

This error usually means you cannot update an existing app, either because of a mismatch in certificates or because of a mismatch of the targetSDK, so in any case deleting the old app first should hopefully fix the error.

if this does not work, could you post a screenshot of your android standalone settings?

Kind regards,
Panos
--

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi Panos, many thanks for your reply.
Does the Android 6 device include an older version of the same app? Or a different app but with the same app id? If yes, I suggest removing the "old" app first and then try again to install app built with LC 9.6.5.
No. I have deleted the older version of my app and made sure there was no other app using the same app id.
This error usually means you cannot update an existing app, either because of a mismatch in certificates or because of a mismatch of the targetSDK, so in any case deleting the old app first should hopefully fix the error.
As I mentioned above, if I install from Google Play (the same version) it installs flawlessly

Screenshoot attached

Thanks
Attachments
settings.jpg
Simon

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:32 pm

Hello Simon,

Could you send me the .apk to panos (dot) merakos (at) livecode (dot) com?

I think I have an Android 6 device somewhere, I can give it a try.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

PS: You said it works if you try to install it in an Android 11 device instead. I assume you have used the same keystore file in the S/B when deploying to the Android 11 device, is that correct?

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi Panos:
Could you send me the .apk to panos (dot) merakos (at) livecode (dot) com?
Uploaded the file to Google Drive and shared it with you, you should have received the link...
PS: You said it works if you try to install it in an Android 11 device instead. I assume you have used the same keystore file in the S/B when deploying to the Android 11 device, is that correct?
Not sure what S/B stands for but yes, I did use the same keystone when installing in Android 11. The only change I made was to replace the devices

Many thanks for looking into it
Simon

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Hello Simon,

S/B stands for "Standalone Builder".

BTW, I have not received any Google Drive invitation yet. I have also emailed you my gmail address. Might be worth trying Dropbox or WeTransfer?

Kind regards,
Panos
--

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:35 am

Hello Simon,

Thank you for the apk.

I have successfully installed it to my Android 6 and Android 11 devices.

Do you get the same error if instead of using the Test button, you install it by first building an app and then installing this apk to your device? Either by emailing it to yourself, or by using the Terminal and the adb command?

Also, can you install in your device using the test button if you choose "Sign for Development only" or "Do not sign"?

Kind regards,
Panos
--

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:29 pm

Hi Panos,
I have successfully installed it to my Android 6 and Android 11 devices.
Did you install using the IDE Test button?
Do you get the same error if instead of using the Test button, you install it by first building an app and then installing this apk to your device?
Yes, same error. I get a very helpful message
notinstalled.jpg
can you install in your device using the test button if you choose "Sign for Development only" or "Do not sign"?
no and no, it doesn't install no matter what.
Simon

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:43 pm

Hello Simon,
Did you install using the IDE Test button?
I only received an .apk, so was not able to test using the IDE.

However, here are the next steps you could try:

- Try changing the app id of the app and see if you can install in your Android 6 device
- Try a different .livecode stack. Do you see the same problem when trying to install in your Android 6 device?
- Try deleting the file /Users/<username>/.android/debug.keystore and try again to install in your Android 6 device choosing "Sign for development only". This file will be re-generated.

Please let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:56 pm

Hello Panos, remarks below:
I only received an .apk, so was not able to test using the IDE.
Sorry for my dumb question...
- Try changing the app id of the app and see if you can install in your Android 6 device
it didn't help
- Try a different .livecode stack. Do you see the same problem when trying to install in your Android 6 device?
it installed with no issues
- Try deleting the file /Users/<username>/.android/debug.keystore and try again to install in your Android 6 device choosing "Sign for development only". This file will be re-generated.
I couldn't find such file!

Now the end of the story, I decided to factory reset the device and then it installed fine so let's forget about this, is talking too long to identify.

Anyway many thanks for helping me!
Simon

Return to “Android Deployment”