UpToDate pre-requisites for android app needed

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ajperks

UpToDate pre-requisites for android app needed

Post by ajperks » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:42 pm

I see Build for: (and various ARM processors listed) but no guidance relating them to the actual phone processor. Example Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Octa Core... which item to tick?

Surely Java and Android tools should be the latest for modern phones? The Pinned post suggests Java 8. Is this right?
Is Studio still not necessary, just the tools bit?

Unless I have missed something, the pinned post from Heather listing 3 old lessons for Android deployment seem confusingly out of date. Can you advise me and others what is required currently?
Thank you.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: UpToDate pre-requisites for android app needed

Post by jacque » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:49 pm

There are tens of thousands of Android devices so it's up to you to research and decide what architectures to use. I looked at several sites that had charts and information about it before making my choices.

The short answer is that all but a very few ancient devices use ARM and the handful of those that use x86 is minimal enough that I decided to ignore them. I build for ARM 32 and 64 only. The Play Store tells me that our app supports 15.5K devices and that seems like plenty to me.

If you want to support every device that ever lived, select all four. You can Google for "which Android devices use x86 architecture" if you want more info.

Java 8 is the correct version you need.

Edit: You can install only the command line tools for Studio but I've never done it.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Android Deployment”