[Partially Solved]SDK root & JDK path: None

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jellobus

Re: SDK root & JDK path: None

Post by Jellobus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Are "skins" and "system-images" downloaded from AVD manager?

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:44 pm

jacque wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:05 am
LC doesn't really need Android Studio and it is unrelated to the Java problem. AS itself isn't necessary for our purposes so you don't need to do anything about it right now. What I would do instead is remove all existing versions of Java to start with. There is more to removal than just deleting some files. Instructions are here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/help/m ... _java.html

Once you are free of all versions of Java, download version 8 from Adobe's web site. Quit LC if it is running.
https://www.java.com/en/download/ Run the installer. Allow it to install to its default location.

Relaunch LC and look in the Mobile pane in Preferences. On a Mac there should be no button to allow you to choose a location; there's a trick to make it show but you shouldn't need it and it was hidden on purpose. If Java is installed in the default location then LC should find it automatically.

That's all I did and Java was found, even though I hadn't installed Android Studio yet. In fact, I didn't install AS at all until much later when I needed to create the new type of app icon, which is still all I ever use it for.

I'm still on Mojave so hopefully this method works on Catalina too. If it doesn't then we need a LC team member to jump in and give suggestions.
I uninstalled JAVA and installed "jre-8u301-macosx-x64.dmg" from the link. LC still returns an error sign.

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:45 pm

Bernard wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:36 pm
It is mystifying.

I googled "Android Studio" "Missing files" and there were a number of discussions on it (not related to Livecode). But that's not so surprising with a complex product being used for a decade or so. Various solutions were offered to people, often they didn't work.
Are missing folders ("skins" & "system-images") downloaded from AVD manager?

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:20 pm

I don't know. I can't remember.

I wasn't really setting out to do a step by step guide for solving AS problems. I was just documenting the steps I took as I weaved my way through the problems, partly for me in future, partly for LC staff if they decide to base their install/Lesson on using the JDK that comes with AS.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:45 pm

One thing I noticed is that my Java installation is in the system library but Jellobus' is in the user library.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Thanks Jacque, that might be significant.

I've contacted Jellobus privately to try something else. We'll return to public discussion once we've tried it.

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 pm

I reported it as a bug. Please leave a comment if you have.

https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23274

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:16 am

Bernard wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:05 pm
Thanks Jacque, that might be significant.

I've contacted Jellobus privately to try something else. We'll return to public discussion once we've tried it.
Thanks Bernard!!!!

I solved the problem with your help. I don't fully understand why this error happened but I am sure that a lot of new LC users will encounter the same issue again and again. I hope LC fixes this issue ASAP.

Thank you everyone :D
Last edited by Jellobus on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:28 am, edited 6 times in total.

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:47 am

It's me before here,
before.png
before.png (32.59 KiB) Viewed 8016 times
and after help, Thank you very much!
after.png
after.png (25.47 KiB) Viewed 8016 times
Last edited by Jellobus on Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:06 am

Jellobus wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:16 am
Thanks Bernard!!!!

I solved the problem with your help. I don't fully understand why this error happened but I am sure that a lot of new LC users will encounter the same issue again and again. I hope LC fixes this issue ASAP.

Thank you everyone :D
I'm just glad that we resolved this bizarre situation that was stopping you.

It seems it was your "same version" of AS having "updated" files as part of the SDK, it looks like LC's Lesson was broken by something Android did. Can I ask: once AS was installed did you a) just install the components from the SDK Manager or b) once installed did choose to update those SDK components?

If a) then we will likely see lots of people having your problem (i.e. in this scenario the updates are baked in to the process of adding tools from the SDK manager).

For decades my attitude has always been "acquire something, and if it's working, don't allow any updates". This has become harder as companies like Microsoft force updates on people. I had to find an ingenious way to prevent Windows 10 from doing updates (I only allow antivirus updates, but then I've never had a virus on a PC so even that seems rather pointless).

That's why there are no updates applied to my version of Android Studio. Once it was installed and working I left it alone.

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:54 pm

Bernard wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:06 am
Can I ask: once AS was installed did you a) just install the components from the SDK Manager or b) once installed did choose to update those SDK components?
It was (a), There was no choice, so I had to download the latest versions from SDK Manager. I wish there is a download option to choose file versions. I tested with three different computers (1 windows 10, 2 macOS) to install Android SDK, and I observed the same problem in all three computers.

jacque

Re: [Solved]SDK root & JDK path: None

Post by jacque » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Interesting. I guess that's why my method worked, I had already set up everything using the older method and never did install Android Studio until much later when I needed to create app icons.

I wasn't aware that the older method was deprecated, it still works. Also, I apologize for saying there was no button to choose the SDK path, it's the jdk path that's automatic.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:49 pm

Jellobus wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:54 pm
Bernard wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:06 am
Can I ask: once AS was installed did you a) just install the components from the SDK Manager or b) once installed did choose to update those SDK components?
It was (a), There was no choice, so I had to download the latest versions from SDK Manager. I wish there is a download option to choose file versions. I tested with three different computers (1 windows 10, 2 macOS) to install Android SDK, and I observed the same problem in all three computers.
Thanks. You were very persistent and resourceful and it was still failing. I hope LC Ltd are paying attention.

Bernard

Re: [Partially Solved]SDK root & JDK path: None

Post by Bernard » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:20 pm

In recent days someone was struggling with this problem over on the site of the Livecode Lesson for configuring Android development. I mentioned that we'd had two users in recent weeks here in the Forum who had been unable to get LC/Android Studio to work together due to missing files in Android Studio (bad Google). This prompted Panos to have a look and he has found which files were missing. I doubt LC Ltd would have thought to look for that explanation if we hadn't spent days going backwards and forwards here with users not being able to get LC & AS to work together.

https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23293

Just dropping that link here in case someone is reading this thread later because they are trouble getting LC to see the AS SDK.

stam

Re: [Partially Solved]SDK root & JDK path: None

Post by stam » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:51 pm

Nice detective work guys!

Return to “Android Deployment”