FTP Upload Issues.

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Googie85

FTP Upload Issues.

Post by Googie85 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:06 am

Hi Guys!

I am trying to put a simple string into a file on an FTP Server. When I am in the IDE, the file upload works without any problems. When I try it on my Android device I cannot upload the file (the server log doesn't show any connection at all). This is what I am using to do the upload:

Code: Select all

put "Upload" into URL "ftp://guest:guest@192.168.56.1/file.txt"
I have "Internet" selected in the Standalone App Settings. I have also tried different versions of Livecode Community. Also 4 different Android devices.

Any ideas on why this is not working for me?

Many Thanks,

Googie.

AxWald

Re: FTP Upload Issues.

Post by AxWald » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:35 am

Hi,

the cmd looks OK. Idea:

You're compiling for new android versions? There's the problem that "http://" doesn't work anymore. Maybe "ftp://" has a related problem?

Test: Can you "get" a "http://" URL?

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:32 pm

I wonder if it also needs the TSNet inclusion. If it works in the IDE but not in a standalone, missing inclusions are often the reason.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Does Android allow non-SSL connections?

And why FTP instead of HTTP?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi,
FourthWorld wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:48 pm
"Starting with Android 9 (API level 28), cleartext support is disabled by default. (Panos Merakos in the bug report)"
FourthWorld wrote:
I know, you're a big fan of HTTP, but what's so bad about FTP/SFTP actually? So: Why bother with HTTP when there's FTP?

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:04 pm

AxWald wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:03 pm
Hi,
FourthWorld wrote:
"Starting with Android 9 (API level 28), cleartext support is disabled by default. (Panos Merakos in the bug report)"
Looks like ftps is needed.
FourthWorld wrote:
I know, you're a big fan of HTTP, but what's so bad about FTP/SFTP actually? So: Why bother with HTTP when there's FTP?
Performance and security.

FTP is great for what it was designed for, ad hoc traversal of remote file stores.

But for anything more specific, it offers too much access with too few ways to limit it.

For posting a single file to a specific location, most of the world uses HTTP. Sometimes the world isn't wrong.

If it's limited to a LAN it probably doesn't matter, but in any hostile network is helpful to follow common practice. And the open Internet is the most hostile network.
Richard Gaskin

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:00 pm

Hi,
FourthWorld wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:04 pm
FTP is great for what it was designed for, ad hoc traversal of remote file stores.
As in "I am trying to put a simple string into a file on an FTP Server"?
FourthWorld wrote:
But for anything more specific, it offers too much access with too few ways to limit it.
Seems I'm doing it wrong. I'm using FTP/SFTP just when I don't want "too much access" and want to have very specific access control.
FourthWorld wrote:
For posting a single file to a specific location, most of the world uses HTTP. Sometimes the world isn't wrong.
For their daily diet most of the worlds creatures use [things I wouldn't name here]. Sometimes the world is strange.
Sry, couldn't resist - but would I do what is regarded "best practice" these days & what is done by "all the world", I wouldn't write my software in LiveCode. So this is, for me, not a valid argument.

Have fun!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:35 pm

Had I made an appeal to popularity alone, your dismissal on those grounds would have merit.

But it seems I wrote poorly, allowing the answer I provided to be overlooked: "Performance and security."

HTTP isn't faster or more secure for specific end-user access than FTP because it's popular.

It's popular because it's faster and more secure.
Richard Gaskin

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:21 pm

OK, I see.

Tried to find some examples for http file transfer, but wasn't able to compile the suitable search terms.
Can you help me out, please?

--  myUser: Username for access
   --  myPass: Password for access
   --  myDir: Target directory, _access restricted_, may be FTP or HTTP
   --  myData: A suitable string to transmit

--  === FTP version ===
   put myData into URL ("ftp://" & myUser & ":" & URLEncode(myPass) & "@" & myDir & "/aFile.txt")

--  === equivalent HTTP version ===
   --  [insert code here, plz!]
Plz show how this is done using libURL only (so that a Standalone can be compiled that doesn't need external libs, and that it works in the community version, too).

I'm asking 'cause it may be helpful to have an alternative for the few cases of public networks where overzealous admins sometimes lock down anything but http/s, and where the situation doesn't require a VPN anyways. And yes, I'd like to test the performance in a real life use case ;-)

About security as I view it:
Here I'm quite conservative: As soon as transmitted data touch hard- or software that isn't completely within the control of the owning company they are to be regarded as compromised.

We all know that todays governments enforce access to any data they desire. So we know that valid attack vectors must exist. And since there cannot be a 100% incorruptible government agency we must assume that these attack vectors are known by god knows who.
Seen this way, there is not much difference between a simple FTP file transfer & a HTTPS file transfer. Only the effort required to read it is different.

As there's no real security in this IT world (in my view, as explained above), what's to do is to try to achieve "sufficient security":

If my program sends "the executionContexts" to a server in case of a program error, or if it fetches its hamburger menu entries from a server, this could be done by messenger pigeon or postcard, too. If these data would be published in tomorrows news broadcast no harm would be done. So "no security at all" is "sufficient", all that counts is reliabilty, stability & ease of use.

When my program fetches the complete list of customers, including address data & outstanding items, we're at the other extreme of "sufficient security" - these are vital data, not for unauthorized eyes. So they are encrypted by the database before leaving the source, and decrypted only by the target client. Since sufficient strong encryption must (!) be applied here already, further security measures during the transport don't add much security (as we already have end-to-end encryption).

So, "Security is a process, not a product."
It's a constant evaluation of what is "sufficient", against the cost to achieve it, incorporating all aspects related.

Yelling "HTTP is insecure & must die!" for instance (as done by Google etc. these days) helps exactly nothing in this context. It's just blowing smoke - and causing a lot of blind activism that suggests there's actually something done about security. In a world where the question "What can we do to protect the integrity of our data against the attacks of national intelligence, criminals & the ad industry?" should be so much more important!

In this context, some new famous last words:
"Look, now we're safe - our web site has https, and our infrastructure is secured by Kaseya VSA!"

Well, I know this a quite frumpish view of security. But it may explain why I have a hard time to see any security improvement by using HTTP instead of FTP for simple, not-sensitive file transfers.

Thx, and have fun!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:09 pm

Your example uses ftp. You may need to use ftps to meet mobile OSes' SSL requirement.
Richard Gaskin

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi,

I have a Android 10 test gadget here & while I cannot "get" a "HTTP://" URL, I can fetch/ put data to/ from "FTP://". I don't know how more recent Androids behave, and I don't know about the influence of the used Android API level (I usually compile for Android 5/ API 21). Thus I assumed here may be the culprit.

But this doesn't help here. I know my example uses FTP - the question was how to do the same via HTTP, or HTTPS if you insist. Is there a way at all to do it in the community version?

Have fun!

kdjanz

Post by kdjanz » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:16 pm

I've never done it myself BUT...

from other threads I think you need to use a POST command to the server. Perhaps try looking up that.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:52 am

Hi,

thank you! "POST" was the magic keyword - for some strange reason I didn't think of it when searching :/

So the answer to my question from above would be:

post myData to URL ("http://" & myUser & ":" & URLEncode(myPass) & "@" & myDir & "/aFile.txt")
So I can go playing with it, finally :)

Interesting, from the dictionary:
On iOS and Android, the post command is implemented in the engine. Therefore the Internet library is not needed to ensure the command works in a mobile standalone application.
Have fun!

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi, me again:

Seems my example above doesn't work. At first, using a FTP user & PW:

put myData into URL ("ftp://aUser:aPassWord@domain.com/aFile.txt") => no problem, transmits
post myData to URL ("ftp://aUser:aPassWord@domain.com/aFile.txt") => timeout
post myData to URL ("http://aUser:aPassWord@domain.com/aFile.txt") => 404
Ouch. The FTP user already starts in a directory "ftp", she doesn't see any other part of the web site. So we must use the full path:

post myData to URL ("http://aUser:aPassWord@domain.com/ftp/aFile.txt") => still 404
But: "http:// aUser:aPassWord@domain. com/ftp/testFile.txt" (w/o spaces) in a browser shows the "testFile.txt".

So I set up a directory with "htaccess/ htpasswd" protection.
First trying in a browser ("http:// domain .com/Test", w/o spaces): it asks for User/ Pass, then shows "index.htm".
And "http:// bUser:bPass@domain .com/Test/testFile.txt" (again w/o spaces) shows a "testFile.txt", flawlessly.
But:

post myData to URL ("http://bUser:bPassWord@domain.com/Test/aFile.txt") => still 404
What is sent?

=> POST /Test/aFile.txt HTTP/1.1
Host:domain.com
User-Agent: LiveCode (Win32)
Content-Length: 85
Content-Type:  application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Authorization: Basic 23c[...]B==

<= HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Something I got fundamentally wrong here. Do I have to set the HTTPHeaders?

Thx, and have fun!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:13 pm

Is the file named testFile.txt or aFile.txt?
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Android Deployment”