Barcode Widget and APK distribution

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Klaus

Barcode Widget and APK distribution

Post by Klaus » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:52 am

Hi friends,

I have some questions, hope you can give me an answer.

1. The Barcode Scanner Widget
Does this work as an ANDROID user would expsexct?
I mean, point the camera to the barcode and the widget automatically tries to recognoize the barcode/qr-code?
With the appropriate script of course! I mean no additional click neccessary?

2. Distribution of APK, not with Google store
Can we just navigate to a webpage with an APK on Android and the OS simply asks if we want to install this APK?
Know what I mean?

3. I know there are millions of different screen resolution in the gazillions of android cellphones out there.
What is (might be) the least common denominator for screen resolution?

Any hint will help, thank you!

Best

Klaus

bogs

Re: Barcode Widget and APK distribution

Post by bogs » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Of the barcode widget I know less than nothing (along with most things mobile) as you know, but I do occasionally test some various things on an emulator of android, and I do occasionally come across android related information.

From my understanding of 2, if you have an apk, you can install it whether or not it came from the google app store. apk pure and apk mirror work like this, and as far as I know, you can side load to an android device fairly easily.

As for 3, this is what Android Dev thinks on the matter, and this was the most comprehensive screen size listing I could find.

Hope that helps some :)

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi Bogs,
apk pure and apk mirror
Not sure what that means?
I was actually exspecting Yes or No. 8)

Thanks for the links, very helpful.

Best

Klaus

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Sorry, my bad for not putting the links.

https://www.apkmirror.com/
https://apkpure.com/

These are websites that mirror the google play store, but don't require you to sign in to download an app. My point in listing them was in answer to this part of your post -
Can we just navigate to a webpage with an APK on Android and the OS simply asks if we want to install this APK?
Know what I mean?
If you navigate to (one of) the website(s) and download the apk, you can then install it much as you would from Google's playstore, so I'm pretty sure that would be universal for any apk you download.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Aha, thank you, so the answer is Yes. :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:13 pm

I thought you knew, the answer is always 42 :mrgreen:

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:26 pm

Klaus wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:52 am
1. The Barcode Scanner Widget
Does this work as an ANDROID user would expsexct?
I mean, point the camera to the barcode and the widget automatically tries to recognoize the barcode/qr-code?
With the appropriate script of course! I mean no additional click neccessary?
I've never used the widget but the messages in the dictionary aren't really clear. The barcodeDetected message tells you if there is a barcode in the camera frame, and the barcodeClicked is sent when the user clicks on a barcode. But that doesn't make sense to me, I'm not sure what it means. Does it mean the user taps the camera shutter button? How else would you click on a barcode that is in the camera frame? It also isn't clear what happens to the image if the user takes a picture. The docs need more detail.
Know what I mean?
Short answer is yes and no, Android will install an apk from anywhere as long as the user has set permissions to accept apps from "unknown sources." If that permission isn't granted then downloads and installs are only allowed from the Play Store.

On a web page it can vary. If the apk is on Google Drive, tapping the link activates an install. On most other servers, the apk will download to the device instead and the user might need to find it in a download folder and tap it from there. You'll need to test on the server to see what works. When possible I host apk files on Google Drive for that reason because many users don't know how to use the Files app.

Also, the OS may ask which app to use for installation. The user should choose "Package Installer" if that happens.
3. I know there are millions of different screen resolution in the gazillions of android cellphones out there.
What is (might be) the least common denominator for screen resolution?
LC takes care of screen resolution pretty well so you don't need to worry too much about it. The stack dimensions are more important, and there just isn't any good average size although the 16:9 ratio is by far the most common for now. No matter what size you make the stack, it will need resizing scripts or fullscreenMode to accomodate the device that's currently running the app.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:59 pm

Hi Jaques,

thank you for the detailed answer, very helpful!

And yes, the docs are very vague about the barcode scanner.
Maybe someone who has actually used that widget will chime in.
Will also ask the mailing list and point to this thread.

Best

Klaus

crokyweb

Post by crokyweb » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:21 pm

Hi, I need to use 2 IP cameras to detect barcodes on pallets as large as A4 paper. I have seen that it is only possible in an Android environment and not in OSx or Windows. How could I do ? Why can't your libraries work in these environments too? Are there other plugins that can fill this gap? Thank you

Return to “Android Deployment”