Android apps is not in app bundles, can not submit

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

terryho

Android apps is not in app bundles, can not submit

Post by terryho » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi All,

Does any one face this problem on submit new apps in play store?

Because Android request submit apps in app bundles, which reduce size.

Regards

Terry Ho

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Android apps is not in app bundles, can not submit

Post by jacque » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:30 pm

I don't think you really need an app bundle, the old apk is still accepted. But if you built a huge app with both 32 and 64-bit versions in one apk, that may be why it was rejected. Instead, build two separate apks, one for 32-bit and the other for 64-bit. They must have different build numbers. Then submit those separately to the Play Store. When the user downloads, Google will send the version that is compatible with the user's phone.

I haven't had to do this yet but this was discussed on the mailing list, and that's as much as I know right now.

There is a discussion in the list archives, here is where the answers begin:
http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nab ... 32440.html
That's a response by Mark Waddingham, and his theory is verified by users who successfully uploaded to the Play Store. It's a bit complicated but the team plans to explore some ways to make submissions easier in the future. This is a work-around for now.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

terryho

Post by terryho » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 am

Hi,

Thanks you advice. I had build 4 apk and still fail to submit in play store, the warning is "apk is not optimize, use android apps bundle".
The following is the apk's cpu type and version

arm7 -- version code 3
arm64 -- version code 4
x86 -- version code 5
x86-64 -- version code 6

I think that is the new requirement for play store effective in 1 Aug 2019, for New create apps. My apps is create in apps store on 2 Aug 2019.

Regards

Terry Ho

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:20 am

That's a concern, it will affect all of us who build for Android. Could you submit a bug report and let us know the bug number? I'd like to follow it.

Edit: The error may just be a warning, not a rejection. This developer ignored it and published his app successfully:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/567 ... -optimized
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

sphere

Post by sphere » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Yes indeed, Jacque is right.
It's not a rejection, it's just a warning. Just continue into production.

You have a project and in that project you upload those 4 APK's.

I also noticed that in the Playstore itself now comes a warning from Google, 'this app might not be optimized for your device', which is annoying and actually is forcing you to use their signing and bundle upload method, because it might prevent users from downloading your app.

But also i did not use Googles signing yet for 2 reasons. The first is that i tried their signing and it failed me (signing was not good or whatever) and second i don't know if it actually works with apk's generated by Livecode(the compressing Google does that is)

Note that on Amazon they are slowly going to do the same thing(it's also just Android) at least now for the minimum sdk.

terryho

Post by terryho » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:51 am

Hi

I had report my situation in quality. But waiting for their confirm.

Regards

Terry Ho

terryho

Post by terryho » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:16 am

Hi

With 4 different apk version, it can submit to play store for pre-release and etc.

It is my fault, which did not fill relative information of the apps.

Regards

Terry Ho

markhinnebusch

Post by markhinnebusch » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:00 pm

I have run into this issue as well. I build 4 different apks, one for each of the 4 architectures and uploaded them. Now, I get the "warning" for each of the apks, even though each one only supports one native platform.

And even though they call it a "warning", the "start rollout to production" button is disabled, so I am stuck.

I have a support request into Google, but I will probably die from old age before hearing from them.

sphere

Post by sphere » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Did you not forget something to fill in?
Is this a new app or an update to an existing one?
If you have no warning about something that might actually stop, then you have to check carefully each subject in the dashboard related to your app, maybe there is something you've missed.

There's also a new thing that has to be filled in called App-content before submitting it to release to production. Which is related to privacy and protection of kids/family (which is a good thing).

------------------
I have had no problems until now, except for one perfectly Family Safe app which was rejected once and i added privacy explanations to it and on my website. And i replied to them that even in my native language(Dutch) the rules to apply are very vague and not clear on what to select exactly when it comes to ages. So the 2nd time it was not rejected.

markhinnebusch

Post by markhinnebusch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:01 pm

It is a new app and I'm pretty sure that I filled everything in. The only thing that I can think of is that the app is large even when built for one native atchitecture.

sphere

Post by sphere » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:29 pm

Is it bigger than 100MB? Check this maybe it helps. https://developer.android.com/google/pl ... sion-files

Return to “Android Deployment”