Android Deployment Issues with 9.02

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ValiantCuriosity

Android Deployment Issues with 9.02

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Hi All,

Well, here I am to echo so many other voices regarding the lack of good documentation on installing Android in LC. I'm finding the setup for the Android simulator has become a large headache that is quickly heading from north to south.

There is a LOT of how to information out there... but it is all old. It doesn't seem to work for the new version of LC 9.02. I can't understand why the LC development department doesn't update their main docs on the emulators with each version update. It would save a lot of user frustration for those who try and and try and finally decide to give up and move on. It doesn't seem like doc updates for iOS and Android would be a large thing to do. I find that there is a lot of time spent by the development department in answering the many questions by users. To my mind, it would be much easier to do an update of the documentation. It could only help the sales. Many people purchase LC for the ability to run on all platforms.

I've spent two days trying to get LC to work with Android Studio (necessary since LC 8.0). I've never had this sort of problem setting Android Studio up for other platforms. Even from the Mac terminal. I know this stuff is twitchy and challenging.

I've followed the original docs published by the LC developers, I've found wiki docs, forum docs, stack overflow docs... Well, you get the idea. I've installed and reinstalled java 8. I've even started the simulator in the background from Android Studio. I've set all of the prerequisites as instructed. Nothing has worked.

I keep getting this not so helpful error message:
AndroidError.png
AndroidError.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
Can anyone point me to good documentation on how to set up for Android on 9.02. I've found the docs on 8, but they didn't work for me. I'm now giving up and asking the question that has been asked so many times before.

I apologize for pestering you yet again.
-Rachel
Last edited by ValiantCuriosity on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

bogs

Re: Android Deployment Issues with 9.02

Post by bogs » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Well, while I don't have an answer to your question, I will say you are hardly 'pestering' us :D

I'm sure someone that dev's for mobile will be along soon :wink:

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:05 pm

Hello Rachel,

Deploying to Android emulator is very slow, so I would recommend using a physical Android device for testing, if possible. Also, not all Android emulator architectures are currently supported (however this will change in LC 9.1 DP-1).

Now back to your original question, it looks like LC is "remembering" the ID of an Android device that currently is not connected. What have you chosen in "Development" -> "Test Target" ? This is in the LC menubar.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

ValiantCuriosity

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Bogs,
You are a credit to this forum. Your good humor keeps me going.
-----------------------
Panos,

Thank you for your reply. When I use Development --> Test Target, the list is ghosted for Android. It looks like LC isn't recognizing the emulator.

The LC Preferences file looks like it is fine. It works fine with iOS. It looks like this:
preferences.png
This is the setup that I used in File --> Standalone Applications Settings. Maybe this is where the problem is occurring?
standAlone.png
I'm sure that something isn't set correctly. Yes, I agree about the emulators, though Google seems to be getting better speed, but I'd like to set up the emulators and simulators before I work with the devices. The good news is that my iOS setup is working with both the emulators and the devices.

I wish that the documentation for Android and iOS that is the first line of inquiry could be updated. It would help a lot of us who are initially trying to set things up. It would also save a lot of forum clutter. ;-)

Thanks again.
-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello Rachel,

Is the emulator up and running when you open LC? Could you give some more details about the emulator (arch, model etc)?

I would suggest to skip emulator testing for now and go straight into testing with physical devices on Android. At least until LC 9.01 dp-1 is released :)

Kind regards,
Panos
--

Return to “Android Deployment”