Detect Wifi vs 3g/4g Internet

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kenroy.roach

Detect Wifi vs 3g/4g Internet

Post by kenroy.roach » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:16 pm

I am building an app that requires a sizable download after install. As such I would only want the user to perform this over wifi or at least give the user the option based on their settings. After searching all the forum topics I could there seems to be a way for ios but not android. This one workaround (http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p127253) will not work since it doesn't take into account VPN or the same provider supplying both wifi and 3g. Does anyone have a solution for this?

AxWald

Re: Detect Wifi vs 3g/4g Internet

Post by AxWald » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi.

Why not simply asking the user?
------------------------
Hi pal. I need to download half the internez for this app to be workink fully. Is it good time now?

Yep, go on! - Nope, we'll do later! - Huh?

------------------------
Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

rblackmore245

Post by rblackmore245 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:33 pm

Yes this is the problem I had when coding my App, in the end I had to perform the workaround solution I found and then ask the user and alert them that I would be downloading over a Gig of data.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:40 pm

A gigabyte is a lot to ask of the user to dedicate to a single app. On many phones that would be 1/16th of the total storage space on the device, and more than 1/8th of available space.

Could any of that media be streamed?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

rblackmore245

Post by rblackmore245 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:07 am

Nope Unfortunately the app had to work totally offline, I had major issues with downloading this amount of data and some kind of memory leak, so in the end I had to split the files into 10 meg sections.

Return to “Android Deployment”