Designing the stack for tablets (accessing drawables)

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jellobus

Designing the stack for tablets (accessing drawables)

Post by Jellobus » Thu May 26, 2016 9:07 am

Hi Gurus,

How can I include custom drawables assets in my stack? if my question is not clear enough, then I can ask like how can the app showcased as "Designed for tablets" in the store?

The stack is built with LC 6.7.10 and works perfect on any screen sized tablets and phones. and it used

Code: Select all

set fullscreenmode of this stack to "exactfit"
What a magical simple code! However, it seems not working perfect when it comes to the real android store environment. When it's beta tested via the Android developer's console, the issue found.

The issues: It showcased as "Designed for phones" only, but NOT showcased as "Designed for tablets"

1. Apk details found in the developer's console, the detail saying tablets as supported devices, and the .apk file fits all screen layouts.
2. the beta test apk in the play store is downloadable on phones and tablets via mobile network.
3. Yet, the app is showcased as "Designed for phones" only, but not showcased as "Designed for tablets" in the store view.
4. For optimization tips suggests "Your APK should include custom drawables assets for common tablet screen densities."

How can I include custom drawables assets in the stack? Is it something to do with the standalone settings?
I believe that there are many LC users will encounter or encountering with this issue. It will be very appreciated if anyone can advice or share some workaround for this issue.

Best regards,

Louis.

PS: I have searched possible solutions in the forums. I found the link of the lesson for the window environment.
http://lessons.livecode.com/s/lessons/m ... und-images
Will this method can be used to solve the issue?

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Designing the stack for tablets (accessing drawables)

Post by jacque » Thu May 26, 2016 7:52 pm

The lesson you found won't help, because it uses imported images and Google won't see those. I believe Google checks the manifest to see what screens are supported, as described here: https://developer.android.com/guide/pra ... ution.html I've heard that you can write your own manifest and include it in the Copy Files pane of the standalone builder, and LC will use that manifest instead of its default one.

If you figure it out, let us know because I have an app with the same issue and I haven't got around to trying the fix yet.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Fri May 27, 2016 2:52 am

Hi Jacque,
I've heard that you can write your own manifest and include it in the Copy Files pane of the standalone builder, and LC will use that manifest instead of its default one.
What kind of file is required to write my own manifest? Is the .txt file? I really like to fix this issue. Cheers,

Louis

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri May 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Yes, it's a text file in XML format. There is a default one that ships with LC that is normally used for builds. Look in the LC app folder on Windows, or on a Mac, in the Contents folder inside the app bundle. The path is: Tools/Runtime/Android/Manifest.XML

You can edit a copy of that file and then include it in the Copy Files pane of the standalone builder.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Android Deployment”