go to card, hide/show object, and noticable delay overall

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

sms5138

go to card, hide/show object, and noticable delay overall

Post by sms5138 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:20 am

Hi everyone,

I've built an app which runs as expected on iOS, but when the app is installed on Android there is a noticeable delay (and slow down) in the animations. There is also a noticeable delay in responsiveness of a lot of buttons that call to hide or show an object, and go to card seems to take quite a while as well.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this, or has any ideas what could cause this?

I have tested it on multiple android devices, and it seems to be across the board.

Thank you in advance for any assistance, or information, you can provide.

-Sean

sms5138

Re: go to card, hide/show object, and noticable delay overal

Post by sms5138 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a minor update, and possible question..

I did a bit of looking at the android, and iOS builds that were created when saving the standalone application...

i noticed that the android version is roughly half the size of the iOS version, and the android version is set to work on android 2.3 or higher.

I wondered if anyone knew if the size difference in the builds were normal, and could this be a contributing factor to the issues i'm seeing on the android builds?

I'm sure this last part is a silly questio, but i'm also curious what the thoughts were on setting the build to a higher "minimum android version"...
As most of the people i know (but not all) are using 4.0 or higher would there be any benefit/reason to set this to a higher version?

thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

-Sean

rblackmore245

Post by rblackmore245 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:23 pm

I have made a few games and had performance issues in android I managed to speed my rendering up by playing around with the options for the compositor.

set the compositorType of this stack to "opengl"
set the compositorTileSize of this stack to 32
set the compositorCacheLimit of this stack to (16 * 1024 * 1024)

But the improvement was very small, it seems like more development is needed.

The file size will I would imagine be different in ios to android. The android livecode engine is approximately 5Mb with no content.

sms5138

Post by sms5138 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:08 pm

rblackmore245 wrote:I have made a few games and had performance issues in android I managed to speed my rendering up by playing around with the options for the compositor.

set the compositorType of this stack to "opengl"
set the compositorTileSize of this stack to 32
set the compositorCacheLimit of this stack to (16 * 1024 * 1024)

But the improvement was very small, it seems like more development is needed.

The file size will I would imagine be different in ios to android. The android livecode engine is approximately 5Mb with no content.
Thanks for the suggestions. i'll play around with it a little bit, and see what i get.

sms5138

Post by sms5138 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Well i'm still digging through it, but did see an improvement on some devices, but the app began to crash on others.... so i'm gonna have to play around with it a bit more.

I'll post back any findings i have in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Thanks for the help.

-Sean

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:49 am

Hi Sean,

I am experiencing the same issue on Android. Not only moving and showing images slow but also a native scroll lags as well. I set acceleratedRendering to true but it doesn't help. One thing I found that all sluggish issues disappeared if the stack is deployed with LC 6.5.2. You will need an old android sdk r22.x to use this LC version but I still want to build stack with latest LC version. Do you have any progress on this problem?

Cheers,

Louis

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:08 am

Hi Sean,

I just fixed all the sluggish issues by setting resizeQuality of images to "good" from "best". I hope you fixed these issues.

Cheers,

Louis

sms5138

Post by sms5138 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:08 pm

Jellobus wrote:Hi Sean,

I just fixed all the sluggish issues by setting resizeQuality of images to "good" from "best". I hope you fixed these issues.

Cheers,

Louis
Hi Louis,

Sorry for the long delay. Life finds a way of keeping us busy i suppose. I did make the changes suggested, and saw that on one of the 3 phones (i had in my possession at the time i pushed the update) did run much faster, but upon accessing the main portion of the app it crashed.

the other two a samsung s 6, and motorola driod hd couldn't even open the app. they would crash on open. no amount of restarts, uninstalls, or reinstalls were able to fix the issue.

I'm still looking for any ideas on this, and wondered if anyone would have any idea as to what would cause this?

Any thoughts on a cause, a resource i may overlooked, or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Sean

KimD

Post by KimD » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:55 am

I'm not sure if this is related - but on Android I was recently experiencing a big delay in re-drawing a new card (with associated animations) when switching between cards. After a lot of experimentation I was able to solve this by turning Accelerated Rendering OFF. If I really needed AR (it turns out that I don't in my current project) I'd experiment with turning it off on close card, then on again after open card.

Regards

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi Sean,

that's great. I had a similar issue on android ver 5.1.1( the latest samsung phone). The app was working fine with old android versions but whenever it is launched in android 5.1.1, it crashes at the launch. I had to spent weeks to figure out the reason. The main reason of the crash was multiple sub-stacks of my app. I put all multiple sub-stacks into a main stack then problem solved. no multiple stacks. just a single stack worked... I hope my experience can help you. :D

cheers,

Louis

sms5138

Post by sms5138 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:10 pm

oh that's a great idea! thank you for the tip. I'm gonna give it a shot when i get time this week!

I'll report back what i find out.

that would make sense cause there is quite a bit of different animations on the cards that have the biggest issues.

thanks again!

Sean

Return to “Android Deployment”