Un-Answered Posts....

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jason1234

Un-Answered Posts....

Post by Jason1234 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 am

Again one of my posts goes un-answered. it appears too many posts by others also seem to go un-answered.

(I wonder if this post will generate some response)

Why is it that so many posts don't get a reply?

Are we asking dumb questions?

if we are, then no problem and if required, I would apologise, however a simple "Not possible sorry" or similar kind phrase would suffice.

Like so many others I am sure, I have spent a considerable amount of hard earned cash licensing Livecode Commercial for a few years now and have had to purchase upgrades to get features or bug fixes that should have been in place before the new version was released. (Something I have never been happy with)

I really like Livecode (obviously) and unlike other platforms I use there are distinct advantages, however and this is a big one, in my opinion and from experience, the support via this forum should be much better.
The Forum is a vital resource along with the training manuals and web content. There are only a handful (I could name) that seem to really want to help and without their contribution, the Forum would be far worse. You know who you are and in some cases not a Moderator.

A message then to the Moderators (who are I expect may be commercially connected with Livecode) please look out for posts and help where you can even if just to answer that no help is available. Please don't let down what otherwise is a great program enviro.

Here's to a happy and successful 2013!
Windows / MAC / IOS / Android - Deployment
Build 5.5.4 / & Community Version 6.1

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Un-Answered Posts....

Post by bn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am

Hi Jason,

this forum is set up by Runrev but not moderated by Runrev. All the active Moderators do this without commercial affiliation to Runrev on their spare time. A big thanks to them here. It is a community effort.

The only "official" support is via, well, support at Runrev dot com.

One of the problems of unanswered posts is that Livecode now has many more platforms. And not everybody develops for Android. I for one know some things about desktop a little about iOS but nothing about Android.

There is also a mailing list which is also a community effort, not an official Runrev list, just hosted / maintained by Runrev.
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
If you don't get an answer here you may want to try there.

I am neither a moderator nor affiliated with Runrev except for buying LiveCode

While I feel with you when you don't get an answer it is no offence or neglect. It has probably many reasons the most important ones listed above.

With that in mind keep posting, a little bump (additional information to a post) might at times also be helpful.

Kind regards

Bernd

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi Jason1234,

I can understand your frustration, but Bernd is correct, this forum is "moderated"
completely by VOLUNTEERS, who spend their freetime here to help other users!

So as bad as a not ansered posting might be, you cannot do anything about it,
reposting the question (maybe even in another forum) does not help either! 8)

Best

Klaus

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Klaus wrote:...reposting the question (maybe even in another forum) does not help either! 8)
Rather than duplicating the question in another section, it may be better to just add a "bump" post to the existing thread so it filters back into the New Posts queue.

If you do this, please don't do it more than once in 24 hours, as a courtesy to the forum's frequent visitors.

Many of us who read these forums daily use the New Posts feature to see what folks are up to. I'll generally answer the ones I can reply to quickly, but some days I'm pressed for time and can't answer as much as I'd like to.

An occasional "bump" post may help in keeping a thread from falling into obscurity, hopefully re-encountered during a time when the other readers here will have time to address it.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 am

Another plan would be to add more information to your original post as that will bump your post. Maybe build and post a stack that shows the problem.
While your original post may have been perfectly clear to you sometimes I read post here that don't make much sense.

A post like:
on mouseUp nothing happens!
Really makes me not want to get involved with the OP (not saying you did that) :D Would you want to answer that post? I know it's an extreme example but you'd be surprised at how many posts "Read" like that.

Klaus, just the other day answered a posting from someone with English as a second language. I look at the original post... and looked.. and looked. Then decided I didn't have a clue what the problem was, until Klaus just winged an answer in, then it all made sense.

To answer a question "Not possible sorry" is to deny that it could be possible. No encrypt/decrypt on mobile... then Monte comes along and builds an external for iOS that does that. Possibly the next release of LC it will be a standard feature. In 5 years time someone will search this forum and look up "Android encryption", it would be a pity if the first answer they got was "Not possible sorry" :cry:

Luckily there are a bunch of us here trying, sometimes I get "Compassion Fatigue" and all I want to say is "Did you read the f#$@% manual!". Of course I stay away from those posts.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Jason1234

Post by Jason1234 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Thank you all for the response. I understand the problem. All good.

Nothing more to add here.

Best regards

Jason

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Jason,

I checked out your posts and I noticed that literally every single question of yours has been answered. Perhaps not every post was answered satisfactorily, but none of your posts went unanswered.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Jason1234

Post by Jason1234 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:49 am

Mark, thank you for your contribution to this thread.

You may have noticed (as you took the time to look) that in some cases I answered my own posts! :? Other times I made the decision to remove a post after no reply as it was clearly of little benefit to me or anyone else to leave it on there.

You are correct in that most posts are answered to some degree or other but some are not (or have not been) for me or others and that was the point I was making.

This is not a hobby to me I sometimes ask questions to get help with business related problems (sometimes urgently) and was concerned to not receive any help (sometimes). However I now contact Runrev direct as was suggested in an earlier response to this post and after some additional expense have access to the other support packages too so this is working well, so no problem (for me) at the moment as this is working well.

Again thank you for your help

Jason

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi Jason,
Jason1234 wrote:...
You may have noticed (as you took the time to look) that in some cases I answered my own posts!
Answered is answered! :D
Have a nice sunday!

Best

Klaus

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 pm

hi,

I didn't notice that you answered your own posts. The more experienced developers on this forum might think they don't need to look at a question if someone else has answered it already. I only look at the list of unanswered questions. If it isn't in that list, I probably won't see your post.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Jason1234

Post by Jason1234 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 pm

I didn't notice that you answered your own posts. The more experienced developers on this forum might think they don't need to look at a question if someone else has answered it already. I only look at the list of unanswered questions. If it isn't in that list, I probably won't see your post.
Of course that makes sense.

A mute point now but I only answered my own post after not getting an answer and thought that due to the high number of views (prior to answer) that some people might still be interested to know what I had found out from other means. I for one find that incredibly useful if I have been watching a thread. Other times, not often, I have removed the post entirely if low view rate.

This is all good, I think this has been interesting. I am sure I had the right to make an observation popular or not when relating to something that I have spent thousands of dollars on over the last three years. So I have certainly appreciated the feedback on this post. Once again thank you all.

Kind regards

Jason

colourpixels

Post by colourpixels » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:49 am

I've been surprised by the low volume of traffic in both this and the IOS forums. I've found some useful answers here on the forums though and people are friendly, just not a lot of traffic. Makes it tough to be a lurker ;)

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:22 am

Try the mailing list. :)

I've been skipping all the threads here whose last post was written by any name that appears in 30 other posts (i.e., spammers) so I may have missed some legitimate ones.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Android Deployment”