Android equivalent to mergPopActivity & the iOS Share sheet?

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jim Mac
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Android equivalent to mergPopActivity & the iOS Share sheet?

Post by Jim Mac » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:26 am

I'm working on "porting" our iOS app to Android... but am not an Android user (nor fan).
In our iOS app, we use mergPopActivity to open the iOS Share sheet and populate it with an image where appropriate.

We need the same functionality (single button click to open options for sharing to any installed messaging apps - Facebok, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) and I'm dreading the sheer effort it's going to take to figure it all out.

I thought I'd ask the community if anyone had worked through this and...
1. Is there an easy approach we could take (..and could you share some details) OR
2. Are there existing tools/apps we could "hook into" to get the functionality
3. Is there an Android standard (look and feel) that we should pay attention to even if we have to code the nasty bits ourselves.

Thanks in advance for whatever info you have.

simon.schvartzman

Re: Android equivalent to mergPopActivity & the iOS Share sheet?

Post by simon.schvartzman » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:45 am

HI Jim Mac, in Android I'm using "mobileComposeMail" to achieve the same functionality as mergPopActivity in iOS.

I know the name mobileComposeMail is far from being intuitive as a synonymous to "share" but I promise it delivers the job in Android.

Also please note that there is no mention to this in the Dictionary, I would say it is another one of the hidden gems provided by LC.

Please have a look at this post for more details: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=32193

Hope it helps, regards
Simon

Jim Mac

Re: Android equivalent to mergPopActivity & the iOS Share sheet?

Post by Jim Mac » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:39 pm

Hey Simon.
Thanks so much for your response. I never would have thought a command generating an email would trigger a share sheet.
I conceptually understand why it does but never would have thought to check it out.

I'll continue chasing it to see if it actually does what I need. My specific use case is allowing users to share an image they create...

Thanks again.

Return to “Android Deployment”