Burger Continental, back room
535 S. Lake Avenue
Pasadena CA 91101
http://www.burgercontinentalpasadena.com/home.html

When:
Thursday, Dec 1
7:00PM

What:
Any and all LiveCode related discussion. Feel free to prepare a "lightning talk" if you like, a presentation between five and fifteen minutes on anything related to LiveCode. Bring a laptop, bring questions, bring problems you've been trying to solve that perhaps the group can help with, bring anything fun you've been working on that you want to share. And bring an appetite, because Burger Continental has a wide variety of good food.

Why:
Because it's fun. Bill Vlahos and I had dinner at BC last night, and we both agreed that finding an "ideal" venue for meetings had proved daunting - better to have a merely good meeting than none at all. We miss the comaraderie, the lively banter, the inevitable griping about engine bugs, and most of all we spending time with the others in the group.

Pasadena may not be ideal for everyone, and I would encourage all LiveCode users to start up small regional get-togethers in their own communities to minimize driving and maximize fun.

We can look at larger regional meetings later on, but for now we're looking at holding regular LiveCode meetings at Burger Continental in Pasadena on the first Thursday of each month.

Hope to see you there.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jiml

Re: Meeting: Dec. 1 in Pasadena

Post by jiml » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:48 pm

yipee!

geekhunter
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by geekhunter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:26 pm

I'll be there ;)
Thanks!

Todd CC
geekhunter@gmail.com

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Dang! I have school Thursday nights. Well...at least my Final is Dec 01 so I won't be able to attend this meeting. Then school will start up again and Thurs nights are taken starting in Feb.
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

nickot

Post by nickot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:58 pm

I will be there next Thursday. Nicko

scobeyr

Post by scobeyr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:25 am

This is great! I'll be there.

thehat

Post by thehat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:42 am

Hi Richard,
Sounds like fun to me. See you there.
Gregg

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Reminder: the SoCal LiveCode User Group meets tomorrow in Pasadena - details in the first post of this thread.
Richard Gaskin

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:34 pm

The meeting is definitely happening and I'm looking forward to it.

But for me it's a short walk, and if you live close enough to attend the meeting you know what we experienced here in Los Angeles last night: nothing short of Windocalypse.

An unusual weather pattern unlike anything I've seen in my life as a native Californian brought us winds that were literally like a dry hurricane. On the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Scale it was the equivalent of a Category 2:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2% ... cane_Scale

The noise throughout the night was like nothing I've ever heard, and the house shook like a 3.5 earthquake that lasted till morning.

Driving to the office this morning was an adventure in route-finding, with so many trees down they completely blocked many roads. Currently a quarter-million people in LA County are without power, with so many trees having fallen on power lines.

This morning we have a break in the wind storm, and most roads should be cleared of debris later today.

So for the meeting I just wanted to remind those looking forward to attending that we're going to do this every month on the first Thursday.

The winds are expected to kick up again later today, and if it's not safe to drive don't feel like this is the only chance you'll get for this meeting - put safety first, and feel free to skip this one and come in January if it seems the safer thing to do.

If you can make it'll be great to see you, but I'd hate to have you unable to attend because your car got treed on the way to the meeting.

Drive carefully, and if you can make it safely I'm looking forward to seeing you, and if not I'll look forward to seeing you at the next meeting on January 5.

For those of you who don't live on SoCal, here's what we have:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... amage.html

More:
http://news.google.com/search?q=Los+Angeles+wind
Richard Gaskin

geekhunter

Post by geekhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Sorry guys with the crazy weather my wife would kill me if I went out tonight! My neighborhood looks like a tornado came through it so the family will want me around in case something particularly dicey happens. I definitely plan on being a "regular" attendee so count me in for the 1st Thursday of next month (1/5/12). Do you think you could post a brief breakdown of key topics that are covered tonight (just a paragraph for those who can't make it)?

Sorry again and have a burger for me ;)

Todd CC
Thanks!

Todd CC
geekhunter@gmail.com

FourthWorld

IMPORTANT: SoCal meeting cancelled!

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 pm

The City of Pasadena has declared a state of emergency in light of the ongoing wind storm (see earlier post), so after discussing this with Bill Vlahos we agree it's just not safe to encourage people to enter the are most affected by this event.

Instead we look forward to seeing you at the next SoCal LUG meeting on January 5.
Richard Gaskin

scobeyr

Post by scobeyr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:14 am

I should have checked the forum. I didn't realize it was cancelled.

scobeyr

Post by scobeyr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:27 am

BTW... the restuarant didn't seem to be aware that he meeting was cancelled. They had the back room setup for the group.

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:22 am

scobeyr wrote:BTW... the restuarant didn't seem to be aware that he meeting was cancelled. They had the back room setup for the group.
Well that doesn't sound too good...
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:36 pm

scobeyr wrote:I should have checked the forum. I didn't realize it was cancelled.
I'm very sorry you made the trip. If it were anything less than a declared state of emergency I would have been there, but under the circumstances it seemed cancelling was the safest thing to do. I called everyone who had RSVPd - feel free to email me your phone number so I can keep you informed of any last-minute changes in the future: ambassador@fourthworld.com

It seems unlikely we'll have another state of emergency declared concurrent with a meeting, but we can't know what the future holds so it may be helpful for me to have some way to reach you if needed.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “SoCal LiveCode Group”