Benefit for revServer compare to PHP ??

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jedt3D

Benefit for revServer compare to PHP ??

Post by Jedt3D » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi there
First, i'm impressed with you guys at RunRev that head towards to Android and Server product. But from my point of view who's running a Web Dev for medium-large web sites. I've couple of questions.
  1. Since revServer script look alot familiar with PHP coder that's the benefit. But can anyone explain that all or most of the libraries that exists on RevEnt can use on revServer ? XML, SOAP, REST, ImageLib (compare to GD on PHP), DB Connection (ok, we have PostgreSQL, MySQL mainly). Are this kind libraries can use/available on revServer?
  2. I'm a bit confused for the CGI thing (dejavu from Perl years). Is revServer handle serverside script & processing model same as PHP one ? (PHP can run as apache module or as fast-cgi)
  3. Any real world case study for a website that have > 5,000 Unique IP / day ? How fast it is compare to PHP/other technologies?
  4. Any kind of IDE or even the Editor that can code it easily? Suppose I won't use On-Rev server since I've to manage as a local deployment such a Intranet or something like that. Pain.. if none of them.
  5. Hell.. $100 is ready to pay for a debug & profiling plugin! RunRev, please give us the feature. How on earth to promote a non-free language without (a resonably) good Dev Environment?
  6. Any suggestion from other user perspective ? $300 / server seems to be reasonable (to me) for Linux/Mac deployment. But currently I have **very** little info for the product, even the language itself. :shock:

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Benefit for revServer compare to PHP ??

Post by bangkok » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Hello,

I agree : it's little bit confusing, since we lack some informations.

I will give you some feedbacks.

I've susbcribed to OnRev, 1 year ago. I never learned PHP. OnRev allowed me to create some nice web applications.
Jedt3D wrote:I'm a bit confused for the CGI thing (dejavu from Perl years). Is revServer handle serverside script & processing model same as PHP one ? (PHP can run as apache module or as fast-cgi)
RunServer is like an apache module.
But you can use RunRev as a CGI engine (read posts,
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... =15&t=5483
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 755#p21119

OnRev is RunServer "packaged" with a webhosting solution.
Jedt3D wrote:[*]Any real world case study for a website that have > 5,000 Unique IP / day ? How fast it is compare to PHP/other technologies?
No. We don't have any benchmark. That's missing.
Jedt3D wrote:[*]Any kind of IDE or even the Editor that can code it easily? Suppose I won't use On-Rev server since I've to manage as a local deployment such a Intranet or something like that. Pain.. if none of them.
I prefer to use a basic text editor (I don't use the special editor, given with OnRev). But when I face a problem, I just copy-paste the code within RunRev's editor... It's a good way to "see" the big mistakes, mispellings etc.
Jedt3D wrote:[*]Any suggestion from other user perspective ? $300 / server seems to be reasonable (to me) for Linux/Mac deployment. But currently I have **very** little info for the product, even the language itself. :shock:[/list]
As far as the language is concerned.... well it is RunRev. They have just added a few special commands. So basically, If you play around with RunRev Media (free) you'll get a good view over the language.

I bought RunServer, but still didn't have time to play with it (I'm working on Windows, so I have to install a Linux server).

Last point to consider : RunServer (and OnRev) are pre release. So we can assume that communication about those products will improve over time.

Return to “Off-Topic”