help!!! before my USB gives up!

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

shadowslash

help!!! before my USB gives up!

Post by shadowslash » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 am

I posted this threat here because I know that this isn't in anyway related to revolution. My problem is this, I recently tried to update my profile picture in a social networking website, let's say my USB's drive letter is E:, I then navigate to E:\Documents\Pictures to upload my pic. To my horror, only some of the files are left in that folder and all others (Folders and Files) are gone. I wouldn't be fretting like this if only my own personal pictures were the ones gone but my application icons, application interface designs, logos and everything I designed is in it. And also, I haven't made a backup of my work lately so I'm desperate to have my files recovered. Well apart from that, when I navigate to E:\Documents\Setups, there was a lot of alien-like named files in there that wasn't there before the incident of my Pictures folder. Here's the screenshot of the alien-like files:

I have the conclusion that my USB drive has been corrupted or some other sort of problem like that but no, it mustn't be like that! It's very unlikely that a virus is causing this because I know how viruses behave and this is not one of their doings. I already went to BleepingComputer's IRC channel but nobody seems to be active right now. I can't wait for them to go active because I'm afraid the more I delay my USB from being fixed, the more its problem will be unsolvable. Please help out revGuys, what can I do with this problem? Any suggestions? Softwares? Techniques? Etc... would be greatly appreciated! Image
Parañaque, Philippines

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: help!!! before my USB gives up!

Post by BvG » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:58 pm

random thoughts:

some sticks have build in hardware encryption that can be buggy.
windows has build in file integrity checking (at the same place where the error and system logs are kept)
terminal: chkdisk
try it on a different os, win 7, mac os x, linux: same problem?
shut computer down, try again
try sticking it into a different port
there's commercial drive recovery software, price ranges from 50-200 usd
you should have made backups (critical data should exist in at least 3 places)
replace stick with a newly bought one as soon as possible
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi BvG,

Thanks for the reply, I somehow managed to recover the file using Runtime Get Data Back For FAT & NTFS v4.0. I haven't tried it on Linux yet, and absolutely can't try it on an OS X. If inserting it into a Linux still won't work then the only option for me now is to move all the remaining untouched contents of my USB to my HD then re-format the USB then copy the files back... I just hope that would work.
Parañaque, Philippines

BvG

Post by BvG » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 pm

usb sticks go for ca. 2 dollar per gigabyte. I sugest buying a new one, and trashing the one that seems to be damaged in some way.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 pm

Lol well the pricing is different here in the Phillippines.... xD
Parañaque, Philippines

Return to “Off-Topic”