Dangerous Message !!

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Dangerous Message !!

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:39 am

stam wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:29 pm
That's weird - I've never had to login to downloads.livecode.com/livecode, and neither can I see controls for logging in or out, making it doubly (triply?) unlikely.
You also can't download the account-bound extras like Server there either, just the IDE installers for each platform, which as you say all require an account.
I was (and still am) under the impression it is open access?
What happens when you click any of what used to be download links?

My experience with the new page is as Richmond describes: attempting any download link instead moves me to my Account page, where I can then select from various options to download release builds.

Curiously, v10 builds are not available to me there, so unless that's a bug they'll fix my LC tools won't be able to get updated for v10 until after that version is released.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

stam

Post by stam » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:51 am

Ahh OK - I haven't actually used the page to download stuff from downloads.livecode.com since the licence change - it used to be freely downloadable from there and since there is no change superficially to the page, I just assumed it was the same as previously, but clearly it's changed. My bad, I didn't think to try downloading, just navigated to the page.

Now they've changed that, what is the point of that page? might as well just get rid of it... It's not like you can download older versions you hadn't licensed at the the time - which used to be the case with community. Again - if I'm paying premium price for the current version, why shouldn't I have access to all older versions? Sigh......

Regarding v10 builds - just go to he latest version in your account page and click the dropdown menu (which lists the version) - if you have access you should see the v10 builds there, along with the RC builds for 9.6.9...
v10.jpg

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:00 am

I'm pretty sure the redirect to your account isn't permanent. LC put it in place while the page was still misreported as malware. Once the block is removed I'm betting the Downloads page will return as it was before.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:03 pm

Dear all,

We are happy that Google have finally reviewed our page again and agreed that it is not dangerous. It took some time, several messages, a lot of work on the part of our Server Admin and a strongly worded email hinting at reparations before this happened, and the page was flagged for several weeks. I think we can all agree this is highly undesirable and definitely not the experience we want when a potential new user googles "download LiveCode".

We have therefore taken appropriate and commensurate action to ensure this does not happen again. Due to new processes at Google it has recently become very much more likely that a false positive on a LiveCode download file will result in this kind of flag. The downloads page as it stood had literally hundreds of files on it, any one of which could be randomly flagged by any anti-virus software at any time. As has been rightly pointed out in this thread, there is no point in all these files being publicly available now as you need a license to use them. The proper place for such downloads, especially for legacy versions, is behind a login, which will not be flagged in this way (Google doesn't index pages that are behind a login).

The returning public Downloads page will only list the latest, current, Stable, download, which we will run through Virus Total before posting. Access to all other downloads will remain from within your account. To allow for easy access to a complete downloads list, we will add a link to your accounts that lets you view the full "original" downloads page. Note, as Stam already showed in his screenshot above in this thread, you do already have access, from within your account, to every download you have a license for, including test releases which appear below the list of stable releases.

I hope this clears everything up and explains both the reasons for and the actions we will be taking, going forward.

Best Regards,

Heather

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:18 pm

Just to follow up, if you now log in to your account you will see a new "Downloads" tab which is essentially the old downloads page. It's a handy way to get release notes for each release if nothing else. Please remember, this is all downloads. You may not have a license for all of them, check your dropdown menu in the LiveCode tab to see what you can license.

Best Regards,

Heather

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:29 pm

I never had to log-in at downloads.livecode.com/livecode!

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:31 pm

Klaus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:29 pm
I never had to log-in at downloads.livecode.com/livecode!
I don't have to either if I use my normal default browser, which probably has the page cached. But if I use a different browser I get the login message.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:39 pm

Hm, I always use SAFARI, but I just tried with FireFox, no log-in!? :shock:

stam

Post by stam » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:54 pm

Do you mean 'no login' on the download page?
I think if you click a download link it just takes to your account page...

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:55 pm

Klaus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:39 pm
You got the download, or nothing happened?

The links to executables have all been replaced with "https://livecode.com/account/products/livecode".

If you're seeing anything else maybe you're looking at a cached copy?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

stam

Post by stam » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:09 pm

Actually having just checked, if you type https://downloads.livecode.com in a browser it redirects to https://program.livecode.com, which is just a pointer to the account page.

Makes sense given what Heather said.

Weirdly enough the old page is still available at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode. But of course all links still redirect to the account page.

Oh well...

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:13 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:55 pm
Klaus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:39 pm
You got the download, or nothing happened?
The links to executables have all been replaced with "https://livecode.com/account/products/livecode".
If you're seeing anything else maybe you're looking at a cached copy?
Ah, yes, I only get to that page, but clicking a link redirects to my LC account inclusive log-in!

Return to “Off-Topic”