LiveCode and the Economy

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

NoN'

LiveCode and the Economy

Post by NoN' » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:26 pm

Yesterday, I received in my mailbox an invitation to read Heather Laine's last post: "LiveCode and the Economy" in the blog of the site (https://livecode.com/livecode-and-the-economy/)

So I went there and read with interest the announcement of the software price increase from December.
At that time, a first comment was posted by a user (sorry, I didn't remember who it was), who answered that the inflation also affected the buyers of the software and not only its creators and that this increase would drive away from Livecode a whole segment of its market.

I also wrote a comment, but I couldn't post it because the comment section had already been closed (under the avalanche of reactions?).

Since it is not possible to react in the blog page, I open a space here to collect possible reactions from users.
And I already give mine...

The beginning of Heather's post starts with a saying that : "No man is an island"
To this I just wanted to respond that:

... and no highland is a manna !

Renaud

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode and the Economy

Post by richmond62 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:24 pm

That's funny; when I looked there just now there were NO comments at all.
-
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 3.27.48 PM.png

NoN'

Post by NoN' » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:10 pm

Yes, deleted.

But be sure I'm as David Vincent in "The Invaders" : I really saw the UFO !!!!

It's a post where the possibility to react doesn't exist (just after 2 days of existence !).
That clearly means : our decision requires no comment and is irrevocable.

Renaud

NoN'

Post by NoN' » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:45 pm

I stumbled upon this post by Luc G. (he might recognize himself if he reads this post), written in 2013 on a French website (https://www.macg.co/2013/02/livecode-ve ... urce-71000).

I can't resist the temptation to translate it (thanks to Deepl) and to share it in the context of this thread as it seems to me to summarize with a lot of accuracy the tumultuous relations between LiveCode and money...

-------------------------------

14/02/2013 à 17:18
I'm crossing my fingers that this works. Hypercard user since... the origin, I got into Revolution back when they offered a cheap version. Then I used the free version "Revolution Media". Despite some bugs and interface quirks, it does have the Swiss army knife feel of hypercard and is very useful. The only thing I question is the commercial policy of the company which has always been erratic: very expensive then cheap then free then very expensive again... I was ready to pay a price adapted to the clientele (at the time...) of hypercard, i.e. not really "professional" let's say 100 € to fix the ideas. But once it's free, once it's 500 €. Hard to follow... It's clear that the opensource version would solve the problem. But I'm still hesitating to believe in it (and to finance it) considering what I've already seen. I'm still thinking about it.

------------------------------------

And it was in 2013 !

Since then, not only have the tariff policies changed again, but also the periodicity of the levies. No wonder that some users are still clinging to their old versions of the software.

But let's be fair to the team: it is clearly written that if someone can't afford one of the proposed versions, just write to LiveCode to find a solution.

Renaud

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:04 am

I would jalouse that all those comments were deleted as they were all critical of that blog post and might give readers pause for thought, which LiveCode central might not want.

NoN'

Post by NoN' » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:46 am

Richmond, to my knowledge only two comments have been removed or "not published", the one that was visible when I first viewed the page and mine.
Could there have been equally positive comments such as: "I've been waiting for this price increase for a long time!", or, "this increase gives me a good opportunity to buy more licenses of the software".

But we'll never know :-)

NoN'

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:42 pm

"Someone" is being a 'sarcastic sausage'.

Return to “Off-Topic”