Call me a conservative old fart.

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Call me a conservative old fart.

Post by richmond62 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Lang time syne, new people on these forums asked, simple, beginner questions (as I did). Now there is a new class of joiners who expect to be given full-blown solutions on a spoon with no learning or responsibility on their part.

Am I wrong? Possibly.

Why then do I have this feeling?

I do feel that there is something gone fishy.
Last edited by richmond62 on Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkOut

Re: Call me a conservative old fart.

Post by SparkOut » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:35 pm

I think some (I believe the great majority) of these "new to the forum" users are not really interested in LiveCode at all, and probably the majority of those are faking something semi-plausible to post that might sneak under the spam radar. Intentions may then be to return later and edit a spam link into the thread, or to encourage answers from legitimate forum users. The hope would be that these suggestions might include links to the sites they want to promote, and thus leave these "laundered" backlinks to generate better page rankings for the target site.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Call me a conservative old fart.

Post by dunbarx » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:51 am

Richmond.

I certainly have seen spammers, but find that most new users are just that. They may not pursue LC for very long, which is disappointing to me, but they seem to be legit as far as that goes.

And I am always surprised when a "new" user comes on line, first post, but with fairly advanced commentary.

Craig.

Return to “Off-Topic”