It's a joke

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

It's a joke

Post by richmond62 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:50 am

Ed.jpg
-
Presumably ALL those children studying how to program with LiveCode are going to shell out $299
so they can do their homework?

Stryder

Re: It's a joke

Post by Stryder » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:03 am

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:50 am
Ed.jpg
-
Presumably ALL those children studying how to program with LiveCode are going to shell out $299
so they can do their homework?
Apple sold HyperCard as a product after 1990, for around $100 a copy. However, they included a player for free with every Mac. The older versions remained freely available, prior to the switch. So someone could always get a copy of HyperCard 1.2.5 and write stacks using that, if they wanted to, instead of paying the $100 back in the 90s. That's what my school did (they gave away HyperCard 1.2.5 floppies to anyone who wanted to learn it).

Not so with LiveCode Community. Gone. All gone. Well, except it's not. We're working to upload all of the installers to various places, so they will always be available, for years to come.

PaulDaMacMan

Re: It's a joke

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:46 am

Just brainstorming... I wonder what the legality is for expanding and improving a fork of the existing LC Community 9.6.3? Like could I distribute builds with extra widgets and libraries pre-installed? Maybe change the never-worked integrated "extension store" to point to a repo that people could contribute to (something like the KODI XBMC Media Player repos maybe)? Call it LC Community++ LTNS (LongTermNOSupport) Edition?
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “Off-Topic”