and

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: and

Post by richmond62 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:36 pm

I'm confident that all my most important and sensitive data is regularly backed up to servers in Russia, China and Langley, Virginia.
Better start learning Russian licketty-split so you can go and ask Uncle Vladimir for help next time your hard-drive goes west. 8)
-
Volodya.jpg

jiml

Post by jiml » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Richmond, спасибо !

jenkins

Post by jenkins » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:30 am

richmond62 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:56 pm
Personally I would far rather always keep my "shit" on various external hard drives than in a cloud.
If someone breaks into my house and manages to extract anything of any use off those drives, well,
frankly, they deserve it after the effort it will involve.

AND . . .

or perhaps '&&&', my code is such basic stuff that it might just send LiveCode into an infinite loop;
but nothing that a KILL signal won't sort out. 8)
Hmm... Well, it makes sense. What if combining local and cloud drives?

stam

Post by stam » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:15 am

We all know physical drives are fine until they fail. We all know cloud drives are fine until the service folds.

With the latter, picking a large, reputable service that is very unlikely to go under pretty much guarantees data integrity, for as long as it's likely to be relevant anyway. The links posted above about supposed problems with data storage are nonsense - how many users actually lost data?

While physical drives have a role - they are accessible offline, quicker data access - they are never guaranteed to be error-free or even keep working.
Over the years i've accumulated several drives that just make clicking noises when trying to load them - data lost forever. My worst disaster was when my laptop was stolen, and by the time i got a new one i discovered that all 3 of my backup drives had failed as well. All my papers, research, presentations, > 10,000 pictures lost forever (this was before the 'cloud' era).

Unless you have a raid setup, where data is mirrored you cannot guarantee data integrity with physical drives (and if you do have a raid setup, kudos!)

This is the reason i view any long term storage as cloud-only - i've had too many catastrophic physical drive failures to trust any long term storage to physical devices...

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:24 pm

People have only one backup?

Redundancy is key.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 pm

What if combining local and cloud drives?
That's what I do. I have two local backup drives for full backups with Time Machine, and auto-backups set to Google One in the cloud for all my client files, photos, and personal data. Dropbox backs up miscellaneous other stuff. I take one of the local drives with me when I travel.

One of my hard drives failed a couple of years ago. It had data from before the cloud and before I set up a second local drive. That data is gone forever.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Off-Topic”