Comparison with Xojo . . .

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Comparison with Xojo . . .

Post by richmond62 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:20 pm

What a lovely photo.

stam

Post by stam » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:18 am

DB4IP wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:03 am
It looks like LiveCode now wants the benefits and advantages of something that Xojo has had for many years: a code compiler to generate native, faster and more secure code for each platform. Congratulations to LiveCode for finally recognizing and adopting one of Xojo’s long held strengths.
That is probably one of the least intelligent trolling attempts i've seen in a while. No doubt delivered by a XOJO troglodyte...
It's almost touching that he quotes XOJO's CEO's post in it's entirety, as if that has any relevance whatsoever to the point being discussed...
Bless...

Richard makes many excellent points (and a great pic ;) ) but i'll add to that: There is so much more to a language and IDE than the speed of it's executables.
If i could change one thing about Livecode i would not prioritise the speed of it's executables, which are plenty fast for my purpose and which I can create vastly easier and quicker than in XOJO...

Too bad XOJO doesn't want the 'benefits and advantages' of things LiveCode has had for many years:
A pleasant and consistent language with a focus on conveniences for users, extremely rapid development cycle with actually instant change from design mode to run mode, and truly multiplatform offerings, unlike the extremely paltry offerings XOJO provides for iOS and android (not to mention "Web 2.0").
Oh, and showing respect for it's users by not changing the entire API for no other reason than it insists it's 'better' (i'm of course referring to API2) and liberally banning users for no other reason than for voicing discontent and being pissed by things like API2 and Web 2.0...

If it's a choice between a lovely language and environment and speed of executables, i'll go with the former 9 time out of 10...
i guess Stockholm Syndrome is spelled D-B-4-I-P...

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:09 am

My Stockholm syndrome is spelt L-I-V-E-C-O-D-E, and having had side trips to various other syndromes over the last 20
years I am happy to stay in Stockholm . . . at least I can pronounce 'LiveCode' without getting my tongue in a knot. 8)

Of course, as matter of personal pride, I do take issue with some of the nurses/guards in the asylum . . .

XOJO:

/eksojo/?

/hojo/?

/hoho/?

/give-me-a-break/ :D

Also, as kid to whom I showed LC the other day, remarked, "That's fantastic because all the visual bits are provided."

If 'someone' wanted to do some marketting that might be a good header sentence!

Speed: another kid (who I had an urge to kick) said, "I never read books because it takes such a lot of time."

This being typed on a supposedly slow 2006 Macintosh running 10.7.5 . . . . Xo, Xo, Xo, Jo!

stam

Post by stam » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:21 am

richmond62 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:09 am
My Stockholm syndrome is spelt L-I-V-E-C-O-D-E, and having had side trips to various other syndromes over the last 20
years I am happy to stay in Stockholm . . .
No offence to our Swedish friends here, but having lived, trained and worked in Stockholm for 8 years i'm not so keen to go back!

It's a beautiful city when it's sunny and warm (maybe 20 days a year!) but back in the late 80s/early-mid 90s when i was there it was just a bit too far away culturally from my background and far, far, far too cold and dark most of the year... and since finally leaving in the mid 90s i haven't looked back...

Kinda like RealBASIC/XOJO vs. LiveCode for me lol ;)

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:26 pm

I deprogrammed several cult members in Sweden in 1987, and, yes, they did seem
a humourless lot (the Swedes that is: the cult members were a laugh a minute . . .).

But Stockholm syndrome, while being named after the Swedish city has an extremely tenuous
connexion in all other respects with the place . . .

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:09 pm

https://livecode.com/the-script-compiler-project/

I wonder why some of the FAQs don't have answers.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:16 pm

No. It's an engine update and will be a available to everyone as a replacement for the current engine. You will also be able to turn off the final compiling step if you prefer to keep the current behavior.
"The full Script Compiler would be an addition to the existing license lineup. If you want the ability to compile your app to machine code, get the full security benefits and the 10x speed increase, you would need to purchase the new compiler. However, the new syntax improvements and a speed up of 2-3 times in general LiveCode coding would be a benefit for all license holders, old and new. You would get these benefits without any additional purchase if you have an active existing license."

https://livecode.com/the-script-compiler-project/

stam

Post by stam » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:51 pm

That is pretty cool, if at a steep price on top of the already very steep price increases (the effective replacement for Indy has tripled in price)... It may have a role for some, definitely something to keep an eye on in spite of this.

stam

Post by stam » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:55 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:26 pm
But Stockholm syndrome, while being named after the Swedish city has an extremely tenuous
connexion in all other respects with the place . . .
More of a connection than you think: Stockholm syndrome was first named in 1973 by Nils Bejerot, a criminologist in Stockholm, Sweden. He used the term to explain the unexpected reaction hostages of a bank raid had toward their captor.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:45 pm

I stand corrected. I must have focused on the script parser which is important to me.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

SWEdeAndy

Post by SWEdeAndy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:19 pm

stam wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:21 am
It's a beautiful city when it's sunny and warm (maybe 20 days a year!) but back in the late 80s/early-mid 90s [...]
Oh, it's not so bad really. Like last year, we had a really nice summer then. I mean, it was on a Saturday and all! :P
Andreas Bergendal
Independent app and system developer
WhenInSpace: https://wheninspace.se

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:48 pm

Stockholm is like almost everywhere else: it is up to you what you make of it.

I bought a 1768 Swedish Bible for 12 Kroner there and still have it.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:06 pm

Methinks that last poster is up to no good . . .

Return to “Off-Topic”