`to fresh woods and fields anew'

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

`to fresh woods and fields anew'

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:25 pm

I was looking through the various past IDEs and how they did things, when I found to my surprise that something I had always taken for granted was treated quite differently by the early IDEs, and that is creating a field (of all things) :?

I was playing in Rev 2.7 when I typed 'new field' into the message box. Imagine my surprise when I saw THIS turn up...
...it looks like a check book register and, by default, was setup with tables, scrollbars, the whole works for a simple table field instead of just a blank property-less edit box type field Image

I then proceeded to test 'new field' in all of the rest of the IDEs, and it seems like the simple field object didn't get a break until Rev 3 to present Image

For all who missed it during those times sooooo many moons ago, the evolution (and sometimes devolution, if R.G. will pardon me hee hee) of the simple 'new field' Image

The original MC...more or less a transparent box look....

Rev 1.1 ... Obviously someone decided 'opaque' would be better...

Rev 2.2 ... then they said "Nah, I LIKE the transparent look !

Rev 2.7 (image 1 above) - oooo k, let's just go nuts, no one will use this for just typing!

Rev. 3 and up...with minor differences...sanity returns ;)

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: `to fresh woods and fields anew'

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:55 pm

Was that message box test in a fresh session?

MC's new field reflects the engine defaults. It may be that the LC IDE (or perhaps a third-party component) is changing the templateField without later resetting it.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Re: `to fresh woods and fields anew'

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:10 pm

All sessions were brand new sessions, but oddly enough, I have been unable to re-create that field heh. I had only previously dragged 1 field and button from the tools palette, and written 4 lines of code (one of which created a new field when inside the rect of the button).

I may have to recreate that code again, I was so shocked at it I didn't save it before chasing squirrels :D

Return to “Off-Topic”