Forum Password

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: Forum Password

Post by bogs » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:34 am

bkyan wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:12 am
Upon further review, I think the browser update might have been a red herring... The more likely explanation is that my account was somehow restricted, possibly due to having a low post count, and my activity on this thread bumped up my post count enough to remove the restrictions. The reason I am leaning towards this explanation, is that I am no longer blocked from posting URLs, and I am now seeing far more links/options available to me on the other tabs in the user control panel.
Due to the high amount of spammers, the forum blocks urls from being posted by anyone with a post count less than 8, so that certainly would change by increasing your post count. Other things that would change would be your ability to 'private message' forum members who have enabled receiving it, but it would *not*, as David and Richard mention, alter your ability to change either your username or password.

bkyan

Post by bkyan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 am

From a logical standpoint, I would agree with all of you. However, that doesn't seem to match the evidence, so I registered a new account under a different email address for testing purposes. Sure enough, the change password functionality is not available when I am logged in under the newbie account.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:19 am

Do you have any cookie or JavaScript blockers active?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bkyan

Post by bkyan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:34 am

I do not have any cookie or javascript blockers active. The only two active extensions I am running are Webex and GoToMeeting.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:25 am

Well, I know that I reset my password shortly (2 days) after joining here, but there might be a lot I don't remember from 3 years ago, so I can only guess here...

I know the board software has changed at least once since I was new here, it is possible this is a "feature" in the new board revision. I.e. much like new people can't post links / images / etc., maybe the new policy is that they can not change their account name either?

Would be a good question to ask Heather, she knows EVERYTHING :D

bkyan

Post by bkyan » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:07 am

Yeah, must be a new feature or something...

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:27 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:51 am
I'd love to see these forums move to Discourse or some other forum tool that plays better with mobile, but it'd be so much work I doubt anyone is inclined to undertake it.
I use discourse on my ipad for the discussions on the firecore site [makers of the infuse media player, very nice for viewing anything not Apple on Apple devices.]
It really seems quite good. And its open source to boot.
While transferring this to discourse would be a nightmare (I expect) starting anew would be doable, with that proviso of keeping this forum as an “archive” [i.e. no new posts allowed.]
Having a link to search old posts would keep them available but new posts could take advantage of all of Discourse’s features.

stam

Post by stam » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:43 am

+1 for Discourse

stam

Post by stam » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:20 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:51 am
I'd love to see these forums move to Discourse or some other forum tool that plays better with mobile, but it'd be so much work I doubt anyone is inclined to undertake it.
It’s big move but probably not as much work as one would think. The discourse team already cater for importing phpbb3, as you’d expect: https://meta.discourse.org/t/migrate-a- ... urse/30810

By the look of it, this would preserve users and password hashes, posts, attachments, etc. they make it sound like it’s something that could be done in a day or two. But, as the discourse team also notes, users may not like change….

Personally I witnessed the move of the XOJO forums to discourse and it was seamless. I don’t think this would be more than couple days work for someone at the mothership… although projects like this can drag on if it doesn’t go according to plan. Of course they could always pay to have the migration done!
That might be a good investment for the future…

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:47 am

The previous post is in Hungarian:

"You're always punctuated kinezetu little bastards. You never did anything and never got caught.
You can always explain things like little pussies. Go!"

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:31 am

richmond62 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:47 am
The previous post is in Hungarian:
"You're always punctuated kinezetu little bastards. You never did anything and never got caught.
You can always explain things like little pussies. Go!"
Nice! :-D

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:48 am

Not really. Probably better to delete this post and the previous 3.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:27 am

I think it's funny. :-)

Original posting and poster deleted however.

Return to “Off-Topic”