Forum Password

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bkyan

Forum Password

Post by bkyan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:59 am

How do I change my password for this forum?

Davidv

Re: Forum Password

Post by Davidv » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:01 am

Under the drop-down menu for your name at top right,
go to "User Control Panel"
Click on "Profile" tab
Click on "Edit account settings"
Fill it in.

bkyan

Post by bkyan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:50 am

I can get to "Edit account settings", but it doesn't let me change anything, there...

Davidv

Post by Davidv » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:36 am

When you say "it doesn't let you”, what message do you get after Submit?

Not much is involved, except valid characters for the new password, and correct old password. The forum specifies 6-100 characters, mixed case and numeric. It is silent on whether other characters are accepted.

bkyan

Post by bkyan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:16 pm

When I say "it doesn't let me", I mean there are simply no form fields available for me to fill out to change the password, prior to submitting.

Here is a partial screenshot of what I am seeing, with spaces added to bypass the external URL filter:

h t t p : / / s h a d o w c a t c h e r . m i n d c a s t . c o m / c l i p s / 1 6 1 1 1 8 0 2 0 8 z e z 2 e q h 9 k 9 . p n g

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 pm

Just in case no one else wants to run 'filter without space' on it :D
http://shadowcatcher.mindcast.com/clips ... eqh9k9.png

Davidv

Post by Davidv » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:40 am

Well, how interesting. I have not seen that happen before, but then, I am not much here anyway.

Which is to say, with no-one else chiming in, better contact the team I think.

bkyan

Post by bkyan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:35 am

Will do! Thanks for trying to help! :)

Davidv

Post by Davidv » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:43 am

No prob. :)

When you discover the issue, it will probably be worthwhile publishing here for general enlightenment (and for my curiosity ;) ).

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 am

Which is to say, with no-one else chiming in, better contact the team I think.
I will state right up front I am not the team, merely curious.

Knowing some have an aversion to following links, This is what the page *should* show ...
aPic_accountSettingsForum.png
AAAAAAhhhhhhhh...
...and here is what bkyan is actually seeing...
aPic_accountSettingsForumProblem.png
OOOOOOooooo...
I've tested the forum out in numerous browsers and a few OS'es, and haven't encountered this previously either, and haven't been able to replicate it, so a couple questions come to mind, the primary 2 are -
* which Os are you trying to view it from and...
* which web browser are you using to view it.

bkyan

Post by bkyan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:03 pm

Hey, it's fixed! I was on Windows 10 running Chrome 87. Chrome automatically updated me to 88, earlier this morning! Was that the fix? Thanks, guys, for helping to walk me through the possible issues!

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:15 pm

Well, if an update of the browser you were using fixed the issue, you have pretty much narrowed it down to either the previous revision of the browser, or a plugin it was using (which the update may have disabled or been incompatible with).

In either case, and for any possible future events that stump you, I'd suggest adding a browser or two to your system. If one shows something you can guess isn't right, as in this case, you can 'test' the page in another 'default' setup. Since your on win, you almost certainly have Edge installed, and can use it to test out weirdness like this.

bkyan

Post by bkyan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:12 am

Upon further review, I think the browser update might have been a red herring... The more likely explanation is that my account was somehow restricted, possibly due to having a low post count, and my activity on this thread bumped up my post count enough to remove the restrictions. The reason I am leaning towards this explanation, is that I am no longer blocked from posting URLs, and I am now seeing far more links/options available to me on the other tabs in the user control panel.

Davidv

Post by Davidv » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:56 am

Maybe, but maybe no. I joined in 2006, made a post or two, and disappeared until this year (perfectly happy with Rev/LC). When I returned, I had to change my password, doing so with a post count still in the low single digits. Other things do arrive with a post count of ten, but I see no benefit or protection for the forum in it preventing password changes for the first nine or so posts.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:51 am

Davidv wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:56 am
Maybe, but maybe no. I joined in 2006, made a post or two, and disappeared until this year (perfectly happy with Rev/LC). When I returned, I had to change my password, doing so with a post count still in the low single digits. Other things do arrive with a post count of ten, but I see no benefit or protection for the forum in it preventing password changes for the first nine or so posts.
I see no benefit either. I can understand the password reset after such a long time, but not the other resets. PHPBB is a strange beast; I'd love to see these forums move to Discourse or some other forum tool that plays better with mobile, but it'd be so much work I doubt anyone is inclined to undertake it.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Off-Topic”