Quarantine in the life of a LC programmer

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

marksmithhfx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Quarantine in the life of a LC programmer

Post by marksmithhfx » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:21 pm

mwieder wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:42 pm
...and yeah, you're basically on your own to prettify the output. I'd try grabbing the easyjson or fastjson libraries from github, use the library to convert the JSON object to a LiveCode array, and work from that.
Thanks Mark. I figured out, after I posted my msg, that this output was in JSON format, and started investigating that as well (as I hadn't worked with it before). I'll check-out the libraries you suggested.

Cheers,
Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:27 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:50 pm
We are ALL going to get fat if we are not careful: the lack of physical exercise boxed up for 2-4 months
may do almost as much damage to us at the virus.
Running helps :)
Attachments
IMG_6944.jpg

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:31 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm
As an example in just one corner of this, now that we have a good WebDAV library in our community I'm looking into ways LC can provide an excellent user experience for vertical SMB markets with Nextcloud as the back end.
Translation please :)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:13 am

marksmithhfx wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:31 pm
FourthWorld wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm
As an example in just one corner of this, now that we have a good WebDAV library in our community I'm looking into ways LC can provide an excellent user experience for vertical SMB markets with Nextcloud as the back end.
Translation please :)
Which part?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:30 am

Hi Richard,

WebDAV? vertical SMB? Were you able to find a good use case for LC as a user experience for vertical SMB markets? (not that I understand what that means, but I'll ask it).

Mark

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:57 am

bogs wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 pm
For Richmond, maybe we should specify 'Roof' or 'Basement' (or 'Dungeon', now that I think of it....) :twisted:
Don't worry: I have my own padded cell. 8)

AND, what may finally drive me round the bend irretrievably will be my online LiveCode classes for kiddos which start in July.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 am

marksmithhfx wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:30 am
WebDAV? vertical SMB? Were you able to find a good use case for LC as a user experience for vertical SMB markets? (not that I understand what that means, but I'll ask it).
Thank you for asking, Mark.

SMB = Small and Medium Business

WebDAV = Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV

Here's Bankok's post with links to his WebDAV library, including a variant tailored for Nextcloud:
https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.p ... ud#p188099

Nextcloud is an open source cloud system for self-hosted solutions:
https://nextcloud.com/

Being self-hosted, Nextcloud brings a level of privacy and flexibility no public cloud system can offer.

I started using it as a way to keep my LC Plugins folder in sync across all my computers. But then expanded my use of it to sync client projects so I get another off-site backup, and clients can access files easily at any time. In that sense Nextcloud is very much like Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drives, etc.

But then I discovered the apps:
https://apps.nextcloud.com/

With such a wide range of apps, both included in the base install and available as add-ons from third parties through that Nextcloud app store, it's less like Google Drive than Google Drive + Docs + Sheets + Zoom (yep, Nextcloud now has integrated video conferencing) + Messaging + media server + project management toolkit + versioning system + a whole lot more.

And best of all, the file storage and most apps have APIs you can call from the client, which can be just about anything that can work with HTTP, such as a web page, or a LiveCode stack.

It also allows custom branding. The Nextcloud server I use with clients bears my logo.

And all of that sits on top of a secure, robust user management system, one designed for workgroups making it an ideal backend for tools designed for organizations or even departments within them.

Where WebDAV fits in is that the file syncing and some apps use that protocol. In fact, quite a few cloud storage systems use WebDAV (see the Wikipedia link above for some example).

All together, these form a toolkit of nearly limitless workgroup collaboration support.

One starting point could use LiveCode to provide a great desktop-native UI for some of the web apps, as many are doing with mobile-native apps for NextCloud.

More ambitiously, a wide range of custom apps can be built in LC, and devs like us get to focus on the UI because Nextcloud delivers the backend and user management. We can build storage out using either synced folders or the DB APIs Nextcloud provides.

Quite a vast range of possibilities here...

Right now Nextcloud is far more popular in EU than US, given EU's much greater progress on privacy awareness and regulation, where Nextcloud has always been in a class by itself.

But with the add-on apps that have been rolling out over the last couple years, Nextcloud's feature set is now beyond just about any public cloud provider in terms of ready-to-use solutions for users right out of the box, so I expect uptake to expand in the States as well.

I'm exploring several niche opportunities where such a feature-rich prefab backend could be a perfect fit. As with any good software venture, the time spent researching the business opportunity is among the best investments, so I'm taking my time. And for the things I'm planning, it doesn't really matter how popular Nextcloud is in the States, since I'll be offering the hosting for it as part of the offering, so end-users never need to thing about it. But it saves me a year or more of infrastructure build-out.

If the notion of exploring Nextcloud as a platform to compliment native apps made in LC intrigues you, take a gander at the Nextcloud blog now and then. They do a good job of touting feature rollouts and keeping fans up to date on how notable orgs are using Nextcloud:
https://nextcloud.com/blog/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:17 am

marksmithhfx wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:27 pm
richmond62 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:50 pm
We are ALL going to get fat if we are not careful: the lack of physical exercise boxed up for 2-4 months
may do almost as much damage to us at the virus.
Running helps :)
Pretty posh business area, right opposite the Isle of Dogs,
right next to Greenwich College and the Royal Observatory.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:54 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:17 am

Pretty posh business area, right opposite the Isle of Dogs,
right next to Greenwich College and the Royal Observatory.
Thanks. Have you been over this way?

Mark

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:41 pm

The first time I visited the observatory was in 1973 (school trip).

Been back about 5 times.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 pm

I live in the Hielands now (since 6 months ago), but when I was working down there and trying to head back out of London to Kent, I quite often found it quicker to go on the A206 via Greenwich than via Blackheath.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:38 am

Claude Duval used to hang around on Blackheath as well . . .
-
Claude_Duval_LC.jpg
-
The "Hielands" as in the "Ha, Ha lands", or some attempt at being waggish about the Scots Highlands?

Eftir aa in war lied "Highlands" are "Hielans", juist as monie fowk caa war lied "Lallans."

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:16 pm

Yes I am up in the land of my ancestors. There's not so many to see at the moment but there are often signs, many of which are hand-drawn, advertising Hieland this or that. Sometimes coos.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am

richmond62 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:41 pm
The first time I visited the observatory was in 1973 (school trip).

Been back about 5 times.
My son works at the Greenwich museum. Was front of house for awhile so at the observatory occasionally. Back office bookings dept now. If you need tickets for anything let me know.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:18 am

SparkOut wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 pm
I live in the Hielands now (since 6 months ago), but when I was working down there and trying to head back out of London to Kent, I quite often found it quicker to go on the A206 via Greenwich than via Blackheath.
I love the highlands! Portree, Uig, Quiraing, have done a few bus tours. Edinburgh is amazing. Plan to head back at some point. I arrived in Greenwich from Canada about 10 months ago and am still learning to drive over here (long story, but Brits only issue automatic license to Canadians and I imported a standard vehicle. Since Cdn licenses do not indicate proficiency in standard they say I have to pass a drivers test over here. Bloody bureaucracy :))

I've been up that way, as far as Aylesford which is a stones throw from Kent. Also the other direction thru the tunnel up to Loughton. Have Oxford, Dover and Stonehenge on my list. Are you freelancing up in the highlands? Sounds like a dream to me :)

Mark

Return to “Off-Topic”