AppleScript insight

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

PaulDaMacMan

Re: AppleScript insight

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:48 pm

I'm not reading all of this! I just came in to say that I've used the hell out of AppleScript and Hypertalk, often combining to two (HC as rapid-dev GUI front end kit for AppleScripts) to get (quite literally, physical weight-wise...) TONS of work done in the Printing Industry (my day job) in conjunction with apps like QuarkXpress and Photoshop that have been highly scriptable for decades. And of course the text handling finesse of chunk expressions has come in quite handy along the way. Anyway LiveCode can work in conjunction with AppleScript (and other lanquages too) in exactly the same way that Hypercard did, so at least that did move somewhere, just not with Apple. One of the other things that made HyperCard so great was extensibility, you could cut and paste code compiled code in other languages in the form of XCMDs/XFCNs into HC to give it new capabilities (and with Compile-It even build those with Hyper-Talk itself, sans-lower-level language). This too apparently moved to MetaCard / Run Rev and now LiveCode. I think the excellent LiveCode Builder is the closest thing to Compile-It we've had available since then!
I started with Atari BASIC (1981 or so) and I've seriously tried to learn a bunch of "conventional" languages over the years, but non-X-talk languages are a big turn off for me. Besides the readability, I feel that I need the near instant gratification of interpreted languages to keep me going.
That is all.
Last edited by PaulDaMacMan on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:39 pm

That is all.
That is quite a lot. :D

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm

I should probably add that AppleScriptObjC was a rather Compile-It -ish move on Apple's part.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “Off-Topic”