Silly Livecode Problems

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

lucapearce

Silly Livecode Problems

Post by lucapearce » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 am

These aren't really gripes as much as little issues I have due to my own limitations when using Livecode.

I find them funny, and I am curious if anyone else has similiar funny issues...

#1 - I cannot remember whether to use "with" or "for" in a repeat statement... I have a sticky note on my computer reminding me the proper usage. If I had to program a robot to disarm a bomb and it included repeat statements, we'd all be blown to dust by now.

#2 - Because of the English-like nature of Livecode, I have a tendency of adding punctuation where it doesn't belong. For example:
if this=that, then doSomethingElse!

#3 - Similarly, I sometimes start adding words that don't belong, or I start moving out of Livecode into a regular sentance
if there is a file tFile there then put this thing over there

#4 - Finally, when I get frustrated I start swearing in my scripts... and I find it really annoying that the Livecode engine doesn't respond... (no example provided, you get the idea)

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Silly Livecode Problems

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 am

lucapearce wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 am
#1 - I cannot remember whether to use "with" or "for" in a repeat statement...
Both forms are supported. If the Dictionary entry discussing those isn't clear let us know and we can clean it up.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Re: Silly Livecode Problems

Post by bogs » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:34 am

I understand what your saying, lucapearce, I had similar difficulties myself when I started with Lc (excluding punctuation).

What really annoyed me was that the debugger often seemed less than helpful when hitting a situation like you describe in #2. I modified your example and entered it in the code window since this was such a classic for me...

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
   if tmpThis=that, then doSomethingElse!
end mouseUp
The debugger, though, gives this unhelpful warning...
stack "Untitled 1": compilation error at line 3 (if: missing 'then') near "doSomethingElse", char 21
What do you mean there is no "then" ?! :P

Of course, I never went so far as to curse in the scripts, but you can rest assure I was certainly inventing words on the spot in my head :twisted:

Return to “Off-Topic”