Possibly decent as a set of beginner tutorials...

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Possibly decent as a set of beginner tutorials...

Post by bogs » Mon May 06, 2019 11:08 pm

Wasn't sure where to stick this, but I came across this pretty interesting PDF created by a Ms. Whyte of Gracemount High School, which has some decent amount of thought put into it.

It goes into a lot of projects recommended for beginners in Lc, covers a diverse range of topics (global variables, design, etc). Looks like it was written some time ago (around the 5.x era anyway), but most of it still looks relevant.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Possibly decent as a set of beginner tutorials...

Post by richmond62 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:14 am

Gracemount have been "in bed" with RR/LC for quite some time, and seem to be
doing very well as a result:

https://livecode.com/gracemount-high-school/

https://livecode.com/docs/9-0-2/educati ... urriculum/

LiveCode are very good at providing educational support and backup: the problem is
that so many school and educational systems are obsessed with the questionable advantages
(and by 'questionable' I mean in terms of a starter computer language: always take cannabis
before you start sticking needles into your arm!) of C++, C# , Visual Studio, Python and so on,
they are not even prepared to give LiveCode the benefit of the doubt and "give it a whirl."

bogs

Re: Possibly decent as a set of beginner tutorials...

Post by bogs » Tue May 07, 2019 1:14 pm

OOOooooo, thank you for that Richmond!

I'll tell you what I am curious about in the videos on that page. Having just seen recently a couple of posts about how difficult it is to load stuff on to an iOs mobile device, I wonder if they are just talking about loading it into a virtual device, or if these kids are actually side-loading it onto their iPhones and iPads and the like, or does the school have some kind of huge developer account arrangement with Apple to allow them to do it?

Return to “Off-Topic”