LC vs Flutter

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

stam

Re: LC vs Flutter

Post by stam » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:54 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:47 pm
Well, as my younger son, who is both a UK citizen and a US citizen, and has worked in both states, says, "British salaries are crap."
Couldn't agree more - but was asking as Bernard seems to be indicating a british salary in £££!

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:05 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:45 pm
Thanks for the example, Bernard. That middle block is something I've been wanting in LC ever since I played with R: named params.

I can never remember the order of all the args for "export snapshot", or the specific sugar in between them we use instead of commas, but if I could name those args like we do chart elements in R, that would be awesome.
I like named parameters too. They're one of the best features of Python. When LC 10 was discussed on the user list I mentioned how I would like to see them in LC. But I can see that they are against the flow of how LC works (they're not English-like). In the past I've taken to using an array as the single parameter passed to handlers and using the array keys as named parameters within the handler. It's a hack that ends up hiding information that shouldn't be so hidden.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:35 pm

"British salaries are crap."
BUT, if you want to work in the US, you'll get a much larger salary, but you'll pay through the nose
for medicine, dentistry and so on, and if you become unemployed you may end up calling a large cardboard
box home: so, from my point of view at least, it's a real case of swings and roundabouts.

The disadvantage about the UK is that the nanny state takes all sorts of decisions for you, is incredibly
over-regulated, and sucks so much corporate tax your employer can only pay you a crap salary.

The disadvantage about the US is that unless you are extremely switched-on and prepared to take 100% responsibility
for all your decisions the chances of ending up as a complete clôchard are fairly high.

BUT, the fact is that where and when to use an apostrophe has got bugger all to do with which political
system you choose to live under, and the thing in the UK is that owing to the "cradle-to-the-grave" cocooning
of the vast majority of people, they have become so complacent they have relied on what passes for education
supplied by the state, which is extremely second-rate.

BUT, human brains/minds are NOT the same as those computers that sit on our desks, under our desks or
on our laps: they can go in for all sorts of nuanced fuzzy logic, so can cope with an apostrophe being in
the wrong place, but a "literal-minded" desktop computer ends up way off in the left field if it
is dealt some "curve ball's" [apostrophe intended]. 8)
-
SShot 2021-10-04 at 21.35.20.png
SShot 2021-10-04 at 21.35.20.png (238.37 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
Last edited by richmond62 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:46 pm

stam wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:34 pm
I am quite curious as to what profession you are referring to, that has a starting salary in excess of £100,000 but which an errant apostrophe could spell ruin (presumably £100,000 doesn't buy you staff to check your spelling for you).
Corporate lawyers. In their first few well-paid years they will work 80 hour weeks, often sleeping under their desks because they can't go home. Only the very thick-skinned, very avaricious will go on to have a career in it after those first few years.

I'm not saying Flutter = Wave. I'm just giving comparisons of hot technologies which were backed by huge companies and which were destroyed/discontinued by those companies. The technology being open/closed source didn't matter. The fate of Tcl or Objective-C shows how a language can go from being hugely popular to hated/unused. The iPhone brought Obj-C back from the graveyard, but it's still one of the most hated languages on StackOverflow (alongside PHP). https://stackoverflow.blog/2017/10/31/d ... languages/

Of course those 14 million programmers who have been trained on Java-like languages are going to like C-like languages and Flutter. As Miss Jean Brodie so wisely said "for people who like that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they like". Language developers often specifically target the styles they know that millions of developers have become accustomed to using (never mind that often these things are done to make the programmer more of a drone suitable for corporate production lines).

stam

Post by stam » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:01 pm

Bernard wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:46 pm
Corporate lawyers. In their first few well-paid years they will work 80 hour weeks, often sleeping under their desks because they can't go home. Only the very thick-skinned, very avaricious will go on to have a career in it after those first few years.
I was tempted to bore you with tales of my contracts of 120 hours/week when i first joined the NHS (that is 40 normal working hours and 80 'Additional daily hours' - ADHs, ie on-call, where we would get paid half as much per hour as it was 'night time' and therefore 'quiet' - farcical really). Or about the epic non-stop 60-hour continuous shifts, returning to normal work with no break... all for a salary of a manager at coffee store chain...

Life just ain't fair ;)
I really should have taken that remedial grammar class!

garmeister

Post by garmeister » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:51 pm

And to add to the confusion ... there is the Fyne framework for the Go language (yes another Google creation :-> ) I'm currently reading the book Building Cross-Platform GUI Applications with Fyne. The first chapter "A Brief History of GUI Toolkits and Cross-Platform Development" is very engaging. The positive is that it's all Open source. The negative is that Google has been known in the past to suddenly kill projects. But I doubt Golang is going anywhere since it was used to write such paradigm-shifting programs as Docker and Kubernetes.
Gary E Chike DMD
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"

Return to “Off-Topic”