A basic tutorial...

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

JamesBotch

Re: A basic tutorial...

Post by JamesBotch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:10 am

Did you remove the video? Because it shows "Video unavailable"!
Last edited by JamesBotch on Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 am

No, the deleted video was a different version, so it was removed to keep people from becoming confused. I am in the process of editing it again, to incorporate some further changes and suggestions from this thread.

When the new one goes up, it will be a one part tutorial with the scripting greatly magnified, should be tomorrow or the next day.

In the mean time, the 2 parts in the play list do show the full basic editor being built. I'd ask you to feel free to comment on what you see there, although some of that may be irrelevant when the newer version goes up :wink:

redfield

Post by redfield » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Hi,
I'm just quickly popping in to give an answer. Haven't had the opportunity to carefully watch the video, so my comments are really only very first impressions.
bogs wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 am
could you point out the parts of the video where the movement isn't explained, other than the locating/resizing of the controls?
For me the text appearing at 2:49 doesn't remain long enough, to read AND understand it. Then from 2:57 to 3:38 there's some action but no text at all. Why not just let the text from 2:49 remain while you're adding objects, until it's time for the next explanation?
I would love to know how you are watching these, and whether or not you set YouTube's viewer to full HD or not. On the full HD setting, I can read the text even without my glasses, even in the smaller player (with my glasses).
Yes I agree, with full HD it's better (wasn't aware of this possibility, not a Youtuber). Nevertheless I still have the tendency of wanting to zoom in. But that's only me.

Gotta run, cheers :)

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Heya Redfield,

Thank you for the input. I am just finishing up the re-editing of the tutorial. I've condensed the whole thing to 1 clip, increased the font in the script editor, set it so that the script editor takes up the majority of the screen when in use, and added more descriptions and set all of the descriptions to longer durations.
redfield wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm
Why not just let the text from 2:49 remain while you're adding objects, until it's time for the next explanation?
I had thought of doing this initially, but felt it interfered some with other things going on in the video. I'll take another look at it before pushing the updated version.

I'm glad the HD option worked out better for you as well. I think the larger text may help further. I hope you let me know for sure :)

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:41 pm

The new version is now up, look forward to the feedback.
https://youtu.be/SkL898e931c

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Looks slick and info legibility is much improved.
I have to say though, it's too hurried. I can't read fast enough AND follow your design/scripting activity, only one or the other.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:26 pm

Yah, there in lies the rub. If I run it at normal speed, parts of it really drag. determining what should be sped up a little, a little more, or a metric ton more is a fine line. I did *try* to walk that line, by the way, certain parts are moving much faster than original and some not as much faster, but it is a tough call.

I guess I just will have to hope if someone runs through it, that they will pause it if its moving faster than they can take it in. I think I even put a comment to that effect in the description.

In real time (from scratch), it took me about 1 hour to design it, comment the heck out of it (where the notes on the side come from), and write out the code, which is slow and painful to watch in one stretch.

In editing time, though, that 1 hour is about 35 hours to get to this point :|

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 am

As a teacher I know that making an instructional video about things is a long, drawn out
thing just because of what will turn out to be too slow or too fast in the finished film.

On of the ways to minimise this is to line up several "victims" and sit them down in front
of a white board (and if you have a data projector to project your LC bits that helps) and
subject them to your 'film' as a presentation.

Either furnish then with a questionnaire or get them to tell you after the presentation
which bits they understood and which bits they didn't, and in both cases, why.

You will probably have to go through that 3-4 times before you put your video together.

Then, having made your video, run it past a few folk and get their reactions . . . and then . . .

Neither Rome, nor an instructional video, was built in a day. 8)

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:22 am

richmond62 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 am
On of the ways to minimise this is to line up several "victims" and sit them down in front
of a white board (and if you have a data projector to project your LC bits that helps) and
subject them to your 'film' as a presentation.
Welcome to the victims thread :twisted:
richmond62 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 am
Either furnish then with a questionnaire or get them to tell you after the presentation
which bits they understood and which bits they didn't, and in both cases, why.
The questionnaire would be in posts 1, 13, 15, and of course free form comments or really feedback of any kind is helpful. You yourself directly inspired many of the changes in the video, such as the background it was shot on :wink:

I think once I get it into a form that works for the majority, the amount of editing time should drop to something more reasonable, at least I hope so. I think to address SparkOut's point a bit better, I will use the description to post the steps and code in a 1, 2, 3 format, and try to put chapter links in (never tried that before, should be interesting).

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Along the lines of helping to facilitate making viewing, going back/forward, or preventing people from missing things, I've changed up the description to include a complete outline text (down-loadable), and chapter / time-stamp links.
Selection_001.png
Link-a-sauras...
Hopefully that will prove more helpful :)

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Ok, since I didn't see any more comments come up, and since someone actually liked the test balloon video...
Selection_002.png
They LIKED IT!
I'll guess that except for the speed issues, this is the format I'll keep going with, so I've made the playlist public.

Thank you to all that participated :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 am

I have put up part 2 of the tutorial, creating the toolbar.

I've also grouped the Text Editor with some other related content into a single play list.

TrickyGS

Post by TrickyGS » Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks for sharing! It's very helpful

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Hey all,

I added a tutorial using the colorNames function to the playlist.

The goals are to create a stack with a single field, and then fill the field with -
* a header
* the colors LiveCode provides
* the RGB values for the colors
* the Hex values for the colors
* set the text color to either black or white based on the color of the line
* add 3 additional fields and fill them with the information clicked on
* show some examples of using the information provided

Here is a picture of the completed tutorial...
colorNames.png
Tutorial....complete...
As always, it is best viewed in 1080HD if you have it, and comments are welcome.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:45 am

While I haven't decided how far I'll be taking this stuff, I *did* decide it was going to be enough to move the Lc related things to their own channel.

The tutorial section will be here.

The channel is here.

Return to “Off-Topic”