A curious thing...[Resolved]

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

A curious thing...[Resolved]

Post by bogs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:18 pm

I am curious if anyone else is experiencing (or has experienced) this.

I had fresh installed a 'nix desktop, and Lc 9.0.1 to answer a question here on the forums. I opened a project that was created in Lc 6.5.2, which is started by a basic 'launcher' standalone that was compiled in 6.5.2.

I then copied some code, and closed the IDE. I didn't modify anything in the stack, and clicked on 'Don't Save' in the dialog when I closed the IDE.

I later finished setting up the 'nix install, and started experiencing issues with the program I had opened in 9.x starting where it had been running fine on this fresh install before opening in 9.x.

I then tried to open it in Lc 6.5.2 to see if there was an issue with the code I had previously missed somehow. Imagine my surprise when 6.5.2 could not open this stack (file is not a stack error), but 8.x and 9 opened it with no issue.

I then opened it in 8.x and 9.x and clicked on save as. I have the preferences set to save legacy stacks back as the format they were written in, and it correctly identified the legacy format as 5.5. I saved it as that overwriting the file, and then tried to open it in 6.5.2, and it failed to open it again :evil:

To me, it looks like just opening a file in 9.x somehow changed the format of the file in such a way that it could no longer be read by the version it was created in.

I always have redundant copies of my projects around, so it didn't cost me any more time than restoring the backup (which again worked fine and was open-able in 6.5.x), but I think it is odd enough to investigate or at least mention here, because I am quite sure this would not be the expected behavior.

If someone else has input on this, I'd sure like to hear it. If no one else does, I'll be submitting a bug report later.
Last edited by bogs on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogs

Re: A curious thing...

Post by bogs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:13 am

No one else has seen this happen? I'm beginning to feel like Donkey from Shrek :P

*Edit - I see something similar to this has happened previously when saving a stack and has been fixed previously, so it looks like a regression, except I saw this merely opening a stack.

Previous Bug Reports -

bogs

Re: A curious thing...

Post by bogs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm

After some further testing, I did find that even though I have save to legacy format setup properly, the oldest version v9.x saves back to is v7.x :?

Even manually saving as legacy 5.5 doesn't allow the stack to be opened in 6.x. so I submitted a bug report 21645.

Some other odd things I noted during testing -
Creating a new blank stack in v6.x and following this route doesn't produce this issue, so I am guessing that it has something to do with a control that is causing this.

*Edit - Panos straightened me out, I had a 'save this stack' line in the closeStack handler that apparently came back to bite me. I do have the save stack as version set in the prefs though, so it is still odd that it is saving it back as a v7.x format instead of 5.5 :|

*Edit 2 - Panos straightened me out again, I needed to add the specific version to save in at the end of that line ~

Code: Select all

save this stack with format 5.5

Return to “Off-Topic”