Operating System Name (need help)

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

shadowslash

Operating System Name (need help)

Post by shadowslash » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:26 pm

We're cooking up some concoction for Runtime Revolution (me and my dad) he gave me the idea that i we can develop our own operating system using Runtime Revolution, i know this sounds like cuckoo like now but we're already starting the development using a virtual machine as a tester for the os... i hope everything goes out as planned.. we still haven't thought of a name for the operating system.. so what i'm asking you is if you could come up with a nice name for it ^^

if also you ever get some idea on how to expand the operating system, feel free to contact me (thanks! ^^)

----------------------------------->
Parañaque, Philippines

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi,

This can be a fun project, but keep in mind that it will never be a real operating system. A much more valid approach would be to start with a simple existing Linux project and customise it.

There used to be a HyperCard OS but I forgot its name. Actually, if you replaced the Finder with HyperCard in System 6, you had quite an OS replacement.

Attempts have been made by someone called Mr X and every now and then someone tries... I have never ever seen a proper operating system replacement made in an xTalk language or any other 4+ generation language.

If you really want to do this, make sure that you know what your aims are and don't try to re-create MS DOS, Unix, Linux or Mac OS, since we already have that.

A name? Who cares. Call it ROS.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Philhold

Post by Philhold » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:44 pm

Stacks!

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:04 am

Hi shadowslash,

Apart from the academic exercise, what use do you think a "ROS" would be? What areas do you envisage that might be a target for the sort of OS you have in mind? That could/would/should probably have a bearing on the name. FWIW I think "ROS" is familiar sounding enough, easy to explain enough, and distinctive enough to be a good choice.

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:57 am

thanks for the replies, actually, it was my father's idea.. we're planning to make it as the packaged OS in the cpu my dad's currently getting on to... the main feature of the new cpu is that instead of using RAM to increase the memory (like 128, 256 or 1GB ram) the cpu would read an ordinary usb storage device and use it as a replacement for the ram cards... this way, it would be cheaper..
Parañaque, Philippines

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:17 pm

"ExtROS"

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:34 pm

yeah that's nice :)
Parañaque, Philippines

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:37 pm

I thought it could be explained as "extra/external" with or without "R" for Rev or even Ram, + OS. Or just leave it as a mystery. Seems like it suits the project though.

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:08 pm

ROS_Ex (My cousin's suggestion when he saw your post) :)
Parañaque, Philippines

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Well, I must have missed this thread and started another one... My suggestions were "RevOS" and as a joke I said "Revbuntu" (of course that would only be valid if you based your distro on an Ubuntu distro).

But I believe now more than ever this is something that could and should come to fruition since Rev's new features and coming features play right into this area. Make it a Window manager or an online OS like what Google is planning for their Chrome OS, or a combination of both.
'What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.' - Confucius (550 b.c. to 479 b.c.)

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 pm

But I believe now more than ever this is something that could and should come to fruition since Rev's new features and coming features play right into this area.
Wrong. It is just not a logical thing to do, as I explained before. It might be fun and a good programming exercise, but it will also be extremely time consuming and the final result will be useless. Why don't you just create some little useful utility or a simple but fun game to waste your time with?

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:18 am

Party pooper :p
'What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.' - Confucius (550 b.c. to 479 b.c.)

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Garrett wrote:Party pooper :p
lol Image
Parañaque, Philippines

Return to “Off-Topic”