List of things one can do with LiveCode

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

stam

Re: List of things one can do with LiveCode

Post by stam » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:43 am

Sorry guys - perhaps I’m not understanding as I don’t have Ventura yet. But is Freeform not just a communally editable document that can take multiple forms of media, but in essence exactly the same as say Google documents that can have multiple editors simultaneously?

What is the difference / big deal?
And how is this something that is reminiscent of HyperCard / LC?

Genuinely curious to see if I misunderstood. But the description to me seems more or less like a communally editable scratchpad - not a development environment.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:09 pm

To me what was reminiscent was the way it auto-saves like HyperCard did/does.

As to "List of things one can do in LiveCode", I am sure
that it would be entirely possible to develop a clone/copy/rip-off
of Freeform with LiveCode.
Last edited by richmond62 on Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stam

Post by stam » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:29 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:09 pm
To me what was reminiscent was the way it auto-saves like HyperCard did/does.
erm, ok - but that's hardly novel. Look for example at Google's office apps... they don't even have a 'save' command. Yet no one is going on about how they remind them of HC.
richmond62 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:09 pm
I am sure that it would be entirely possible to develop a clone/copy/rip-oof of Freeform with LiveCode.
Well then same can be said of many apps! But it's non-trivial to do this in a networked fashion. I'm sure it's potentially doable, but no one has done it...

In the same vein, I'm sure i could write a an entire healthcare electronic record in system to rival our hospital-wide one with LiveCode. But i haven't done that either - because it's not easy, would take a huge amount of time and it would not be feasible for a sole developer.

Maybe someone here can emulate Freeform with LiveCode - but there would be no profit in it, so I doubt anyone will.
So why go on about how it might be doable?

I'm still not sure why this is tacked onto the 'List of things one can do with LiveCode' thread... I'm mean it seems off-topic to the thread which already is in the off-topic section... Maybe this needed it's own thread? And a point?

Return to “Off-Topic”