How to make video tutorials

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Anzwertree

How to make video tutorials

Post by Anzwertree » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:28 am

Greetings Rev Community! I have to say that I'm having a blast with Revolution. I bought the Enterprise edition of Rev so I can use it on my other computers too. I find it really awesome how everything just works. At school we're going through C. Most of my time is spent thinking about syntax and debugging. But with Rev I feel more creative.

Anyway, I have what appears to be a foolish question. But I am very curious what structure people use to create video tutorials. How do you get the timing right? That is my biggest frustration. The Rev tutorials are a perfect example of well made and structured tutorials.

Here is my question, generally speaking, do professionals record their screencast as they narrate, or do they record without sound and fill in the narration later? I've tried both and they still don't seem as professional as they could be. That's when I decided to make an outline of each video. That arose my curiosity over other people's strategy. Generally speaking, what methods do professionals use to create good video tutorials?

---- aside
PS: I might have overlooked it, but does anybody know how many computers I'm allowed to have Rev Enterprise installed on? I have about 4 so far. I run Linux on two of them, Vista on one, and Mac is on the spare. I might buy another computer soon just in case one of the others breaks.

So far I only installed Rev one of my main computers. But I'd like to have it on my others too. This question is really off topic, isn't it? Maybe I should make this its own topic, or go ask Revolution. Although I'm sure someone here knows. I'll post here since I've already written it. Okay... I'm gonna stop rambling now.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How to make video tutorials

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:53 am

Anzwertree wrote:Here is my question, generally speaking, do professionals record their screencast as they narrate, or do they record without sound and fill in the narration later?
Many good ones are made like pro animations such as the Simpsons: the voice is recorded first, and the video created to match the audio track.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:58 am

Dear Anzwertree,

Because of the many freelance programming jobs I am working on, I don't have a lot of time for movie editing. To minimize the amount of time spent on editing, I make a few versions of the tutorials and copy the best part from each version.

I write my text before I make the movie and read the text loud while I record it. The result is a somewhat boring but well-understandable tutorial.

I record the movies with Snapper Screen Recorder, which includes an option to record sound.

Best regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

bell22

Re: How to make video tutorials

Post by bell22 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks Mark, I just downloaded Snapper Screen Recorder and it worked like a charm :D

Return to “Off-Topic”