My point of view

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

nhugodot

Re: My point of view

Post by nhugodot » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:21 pm

Ormente wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:41 pm
I agree with most of your point, Newbie4 :D

As vocal as i am about my concerns, i must add a few positive points here.

1 / LiveCode is a lot more than simply a language. As a language it's not my favorite one. I have a background with a lot of others: LC is a bit verbose and lacks some useful things (AFAIK, as i'm relatively new here). But it is a decent one, and because i like Smalltalk or Haskell we don't have to be pedantic: practicality trumps purity. Yes i would like enhancements, but the language is more or less OK. The point is : LC is a world you live in, not just a language, it's not unlike Smalltalk/Pharo. And that's a beautiful world to live in.

2 / In the business world, LC competes more with so-called frameworks or (pretending to be) cross platform development tools than languages. The language aspect is only the tip of the iceberg. But it's definitely possible that the non-mainstream language used here is a bit of a showstopper for some.

3 / The educational market is a good target, as LC is very well suited even as a language : it's pseudo code that actualy runs ;-)
; But it is also a rich toolset, so students can actualy do nice real things with their "pseudocode". But, here again, i have to add that (for me) LC is a lot more than just a "beginner language".

4 / We have to keep in mind that a company (or a fundation) needs money to afford good developpers, documentation writers, and so on... whatever the structure is, it needs money. On a personal level i'm like Richard: i would be glad to pay less just for the sake of it... but that's not the point: my concern was that the high price strategy may be harming the livecode future. A future i want to believe in. As we don't know the ins an outs of the situation, we can only provide opinion... and hope they can find a way to the captain's crew ears and (maybe) help the decision makers assure us all a bright future.

Hi Ormente, frenchie here too (in Lyon, closeby?), hi all

I'm investigating LiveCode versus Pharo and Flutter to rebuild a mobile app, kind of group productivity tool: discussions (chat), groups, todo, meetings/cal, photo albums, maps ("where are you all?"), ... for families and best friends. iOS and Android (with native notifications) first, web (mobile and desktop) later. No fancy GUI, just classic tabs and "cards" or threads you find in your everyday tools.

One young good dev made a React Native version, and testing Flutter now. Don't need its power, I think... I guess some much more productive tool such as live coding Pharo or LiveCode or (please advice?) /.../...? Multi-targets of course.

Huge thanks for your help!

ps: your comment: Pharo vs LiveCode?

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:37 pm

The leap from 2016 to 2021 is a bit surprising.

stam

Post by stam » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:19 pm

Nevertheless, it’s striking how the conversations from 5 years ago so closely mirror the many conversations with the recent changes.

It would seem that none of the concerns raised then (lack of marketing etc) were addressed and you can draw a straight beeline to current developments…

Lagi Pittas
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Lagi Pittas » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:03 pm

stam wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:19 pm
Nevertheless, it’s striking how the conversations from 5 years ago so closely mirror the many conversations with the recent changes.

It would seem that none of the concerns raised then (lack of marketing etc) were addressed and you can draw a straight beeline to current developments…
+100

Lagi

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:24 pm

I wonder how one markets a programming language. How would one do that exactly? I've never seen ads or similar for any of them. If someone could cite specifics we might be able to calculate approximate costs.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

nhugodot

Post by nhugodot » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:52 pm

jacque wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:24 pm
I wonder how one markets a programming language. How would one do that exactly? I've never seen ads or similar for any of them. If someone could cite specifics we might be able to calculate approximate costs.
Like him;
(Oh, this forum doesn't accept external URL, wtf?)
Check medium com, Richard Kenneth , mister smalltalk

He's everywhere lobbying for smalltalk and Pharo. Quora Medium etc. I've discovered Pharo and rediscovered Smalltalk thanks tonthis, never did I read about LiveCode: be where devs are, not where you are.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:26 pm

nhugodot wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:52 pm
Oh, this forum doesn't accept external URL, wtf?
FYI:
Due to heavy spamming here in the forum, one needs to have at least seven postings before one can post links, images etc...

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 pm

jacque wrote:
I wonder how one markets a programming language.
In the 21st century, commerical considerations like marketing budgets don't normally apply to programming languages, as languages are viewed as commodity infrastructure and most commodity infrastructure is open source.

Aside from a small handful of legacy languages from corporate giants, nearly everything on the TIOBE Index is open source:
https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

The third decade of the 21st century is a challenging place to be offering a proprietary language. There's still some opportunity for growth, but not explosively, and will require focus and creativity.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

stam

Post by stam » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:29 pm

jacque wrote:
Other than making appearances on multiple boards pushing that agenda (which may or may not be received well)?
Search engine optimisation guys... search for data grid for another language? have LiveCode links and youtube videos pop up high in the search results, as others have mentioned move all the tutorial from behind the paywall and make it freely accessible and have an SEO wizard make these show up as links

Once you've searched you can advertise on social media - i searched fore a brand of bike a little while back, to this day i'm being inundated with ads for various brands of bikes. What do you think influences what shows up first when you search for programming related stuff?

While it may not be an era of 'marketing' IDE tools, LC needs to get the message out there. There is literally a vast ocean of people who have no idea that LC even exists - and given that LC has now decided that charging premium heavy prices in the era of every tool being opensource, it's even more critical.

Reach out to any and all previous contacts with offers - i know we're in the era of charging an arm and a leg for previous functionality, but bait new users with approachable pricing and then hook em...

I guess the main thing is: Hire someone who knows what to do ;)

Return to “Off-Topic”