Please explain the logic behind the starter plan price?

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

MichaelUK

Please explain the logic behind the starter plan price?

Post by MichaelUK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi everyone

So I can get 1 platform for £7.99 + Vat but if I go to two platforms it goes up to £24.99 + Vat.
I would have expected that the price at most would have doubled. I would have liked to have both Windows and Mac platforms but there is no way I am going to be paying £24.99 + Vat it does not make sense to me at all.

I am a hobbyist and have never earned money from Livecode but I enjoy messing around with it and maybe someday I may come up with a killer app idea but until then I am just messing around looks like I will have to stay with the community version for now.

I would have liked to continued to support Livecode as in the past when money was not as tight I have bought the indy version for £299.00, joined the fundraiser for HTML, etc etc but at the moment I can no longer justify such a big spend for no return.

Michael

stam

Re: Please explain the logic behind the starter plan price?

Post by stam » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:34 pm

This has pretty much divided the community right now, lots of strong sentiments about this. All of these things have already been said in multiple threads, the longest and most heated of which in the end was locked and then deleted. No point in bringing it up again really.

LiveCode ltd have said that they are amenable to be approached to consider concessions if people are genuinely in difficulty, so may be worth approaching them directly.

FWIW i do agree it was correct to remove the free tier/FOSS as there wasn't enough in Indy or Pro to justify a purchase for most people, so was never really a clever model for generating income vital to the ongoing survival of the company.

However, no part of the new pricing scheme makes sense to me either, but it is what it is. Lets hope it goes well.

tetsuo29
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by tetsuo29 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:08 pm

MichaelUK wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:53 pm
Hi everyone

So I can get 1 platform for £7.99 + Vat but if I go to two platforms it goes up to £24.99 + Vat.
I would have expected that the price at most would have doubled. I would have liked to have both Windows and Mac platforms but there is no way I am going to be paying £24.99 + Vat it does not make sense to me at all.
I don't get it either. I've never seen a pricing structure where if you buy more you pay even more than what the individual options cost.

However, what I find even more bizarre is the decision to make apps produced with the starter version stop functioning if the subscription they were produced with is no longer current. It's hard for me to imagine any devs being ok with that option.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:19 am

I wish people would stop using the word 'logic' in such a sloppy fashion.

Ludwig Wittgenstein said that people could not find answers to lots of things
because they were asking the wrong questions.

Francesco77

Post by Francesco77 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:07 pm

tetsuo29 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:08 pm
However, what I find even more bizarre is the decision to make apps produced with the starter version stop functioning if the subscription they were produced with is no longer current. It's hard for me to imagine any devs being ok with that option.
... is that really true? Apps created with a paid version stop working if the subscription ends?

If that is true, what will happen to created apps if RunRev would cease to exist at some point in the future?
Will all created apps then stop working?
I cannot imagine that this is really true. Who would work on an app for months or years when it could stop running anytime for whatever reason?

stam

Post by stam » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Francesco77 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:07 pm
... is that really true? Apps created with a paid version stop working if the subscription ends?
Apps created with older versions or with standard plan will work forever - but apps created with the starter plan will stop working when the subscription lapses.
Francesco77 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:07 pm
I cannot imagine that this is really true. Who would work on an app for months or years when it could stop running anytime for whatever reason?
There have been heated threads about this (now unceremoniously deleted by LC ltd) - it is what it is.
The starter plan is intended for new users to learn only - it is clearly not a developer subscription.
If you want to use to create apps for posterity you should use either an older app/licence or pay the standard plan subscription and your apps will not expire.

Francesco77

Post by Francesco77 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:44 pm

stam wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:34 pm
If you want to use to create apps for posterity you should use either an older app/licence or pay the standard plan subscription and your apps will not expire.
... ah ok, I misunderstood that. I thought that this would happen to ALL subscriptions when they end.

Thanks for your explanation und clarification :)

Return to “Off-Topic”