iOS and privacy settings

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon Knight

iOS and privacy settings

Post by Simon Knight » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of writing a library extension that will enable Livecode to access the calendar and reminders. I have a part complete version that allows apps on Mac OS to read events but it requires the user to grant permission by opening System Settings and selecting the application from a list associated with the Calendar application. If memory serves someone did try the library as is on iOS but found that there was no way of authorising access to the calendar information.

Over the past few days I have been experimenting with the method -requestAccessToEntityType:completion: of the EventKit class that requests access to Calendar items. While I now have the syntax correct calling the method does not seem to do very much on Mac OS.

Unfortunately I do not use iOS but I have borrowed an ipad and see that under privacy settings -> calendar there is a column with the title "Application that have requested access to your calendars will appear here". I wonder if anyone who knows iOS can confirm how this list is populated? Also in your experience how do apps generally request permissions? I speculate that my code populates this list and that the author of the app has to then prompt the user to manually bless the app via the privacy settings. Does this sound likely?

Simon
best wishes
Skids

Return to “iOS Deployment”