Get a provisioning profile for iOS standalone

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Fjord

Get a provisioning profile for iOS standalone

Post by Fjord » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:22 pm

I have macOS Big Sur 11.7.1, Xcode 12.1 which is the correct version for my LC 9.6.2. I get the green square in 'Standalone Application Settings'. I can build a MacOS standalone.

I want to create an iPhone app for my own personal use (no selling, no App Store).
I did that years ago but things have changed and I just can't seem to create a provisioning profile and connect it in 'Standalone Application Settings'.

I finally found and followed the beginning of https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/71283 up to
Connect your device (cable only, not wireless) and select it as build destination via the 'active scheme' dropdown
but couldn't find that dropdown. So I went to Xcode > Preferences > Accounts, added my Apple ID to the left pane, then I created a signing certificate in the right pane. I got this:
Ecran1.gif
Ecran1.gif (9.47 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
When I double click that line I see this:
Ecran2.gif
Back to the 'Accounts' window, I clicked on the button 'Download Manual Profiles', with no visible effect. But when I checked the 'Keychain' app, I found:
- in the 'session' keychain section: two lines 'Apple Development: my name', one with an key icon and one with a certificate icon
- in the 'Personal keychains' section: twice the same two lines, a private and a public key.

OK, so I seem to have created certificates, but I don't know if/how that helps me to get the provisioning profile(s) that LC asks. I'm worried because the 'Standalone Application Settings' of LC has an Option Menu for the provisioning profile field, so I can't just type or drag-drop something in it.
Could anyone be so kind to explain what I'm supposed to do to generate an iOS standalone that I could run on my iPhone and (as a bonus) how to use the Test feature of LC in case there's something special to set-up?
--
François

Klaus

Re: Get a provisioning profile for iOS standalone

Post by Klaus » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:38 am

Bonjour François,

I think you need a "Development Profile" for this.
Check this lesson:
https://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/3 ... le-for-ios

And yes, Apple is a bit paranoid in this respect! :D

Best

Klaus

Fjord

Post by Fjord » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:04 pm

I've been there the day before yesterday. I did the 1st part 'Generating a Certificate Signing Request'. I saved the certificate in my development folder, and it's there all right.

BUT then I followed the links in a desperate depth-first search… and finally got stuck; bear with me please:
  • Clicked OK, the page is almost empty, only the title and a dropdown with my name.
    From the dropdown I followed 'Account help'. Gave me a page 'Developer Account Help' with a menu on the left.
  • Followed 'Sign in to your developer account'. This page says
    Use your Apple ID to sign in to your developer account. If you’re enrolled in a paid program (the Apple Developer Program or Apple Developer Enterprise Program), sign in with the Apple ID you used to enroll.
    Note 'If you’re enrolled in a paid program'. I'm not enrolled yet and do not want to pay; I seem to understand in the above sentence that I can sign in to a developper account without enrolling in a paid program.
  • Followed 'Sign in to your account>Go to developer.apple.com and on the top right, click Account'.
  • Followed 'Account' in menu bar. Gave me a page with a dropdown
    Ecran3.png
    (I don't really know what is pending, but I've not been there in the last 72 hours)
    That page has a link that says 'Purchase your membership. To continue your enrollment, complete your purchase now'.
  • Followed that link. Page 'Apple Developer Program Enrollment' says 'Once you complete your purchase (…)' and has a form including 'Cost 99€'. :shock:
Remember, I do not want to purchase anything.
How do I get a provisioning profile for a no-money-involved iOS standalone?
--
François

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:14 pm

Sorry, cannot be of an more help, since I am quite new to mobile stuff and especailly iOS.

Currently I am in the same state as you are, just created a "Provisioning Profile" which
seems to be different than a "Developer Profile".

Will report here how it goes for me...

Fjord

Post by Fjord » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:28 pm

I found this post on stackoverflow
Just to explain a bit more, the development provisioning profile is for testing your App on a device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch), and the distribution profile is used when you're submitting your application to Apple to get it onto the store.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/666 ... io#6660244
So, it seems what I need is a development provisioning profile.

OTOH, if I follow from the LC side, the 'Standalone Application Settings' for iOS mentions only 'Profile' near a dropdown. And the Guide says
Profile The provisioning profile to sign the application with.
which doesn't help much.
--
François

Return to “iOS Deployment”