Getting user feedback/ratings into AppStore?

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jim Mac
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Getting user feedback/ratings into AppStore?

Post by Jim Mac » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:38 pm

Does anyone have a widget, etc. that accesses the IOS App Store Review Control (SKStoreReviewController)?
The SKStoreReviewController API lets you give users an easy way to provide feedback about your app. You can prompt for ratings up to three times in a 365-day period. Users will submit a rating through the standardized prompt, and can write and submit a review without leaving the app.
I can easily roll my own interface but I'm not sure how to feed the results to Apple. I'd prefer to do it the right way,
I'm think I could work through this but I'm afraid the LCB learning curve seems daunting and I'm balancing coding with doing yard work, cooking, etc.

Currently we simply ask users to rate the app if they contact us.... which for a well designed app, they won't likely do. Not very effective from a marketing perspective.

Jim Mac

Re: Getting user feedback/ratings into AppStore?

Post by Jim Mac » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:48 pm

No replies to the original post is not a good thing.

I'm guessing this is a sign that I need to do LCB? I'm hoping the learning curve isn't too long. Then again, how hard can it be to do a widget that ties into Apple's review sstem? (That's a joke :D ).

We really want to add this capability to our app as we just got a 90-day notice that our app doesn;t have enough "volume" to warrant staying in the App Store. I'll be doing an update just to keep it live but... so many things we wanted to add but just hadn't found the time as this is not our day job (nor even night to be honest).

I understand Apple's reasoning but...

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:19 pm

Usually no replies means no one knows the answer, I know I've never heard of the API you mentioned.

Apple dropped a lot of apps from the store a couple of years ago, including one of mine and one of my clients. The reason was the low number of downloads and possibly the lack of updates. It sounds like Apple doesn't think your app pulls in enough traffic. I'm not sure the number of reviews matters or even their content.

Google did the same thing shortly after, and now requires regular updates to keep the app in the Play Store.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:28 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a problem with Apple's decision. As a result of their action, a long overdue update is now front and center.
I'm sure having the review/ratings interface is not going to increase traffic or change the time we can stay in the store. I just think it's a capability I want to include.

That said, if no one has implemented the same, it indicates it's less important than I think... or, it was so hard to do that the ability to address it has become "IP" (e.g. too precious to share). Either way, I have many other things to "fix" so I may decide not to pursue this since I perceive the learning curve for implementing this may be longer than I like (and/or have the bandwidth to address)

Return to “iOS Deployment”